Gå til innhold

Hvordan skifte HDD på PS3 Tutorial.

Aafloey

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Til de som har 40GB versjonen, så er ikke skruene noe problem. Veldig enkelt å løsne med et vanlig stjerneskrujern. 5 skruer, og vips så er harddisken ute.

Måtte bare prøve nå når jeg leste tråden :p Skal bestille harddisken asap, visste ikke at det var så lett som dette. Flott tråd! :)

Lenke til kommentar
forskjell på 5400 rpm og 7200 rpm? Vil loading av demoer, flytting av filer gå raskere?

Til å begynne med var det noen kilder på at det bare var få sekunder å spare, men jeg mener å ha lest at det faktisk er en del å hente på det. Vi får vente på en som har mer peiling enn meg! Er veldig fornøyd med min 5400rpm 320gb, men harddisk er dritbillig nå, så er jo bare å køle på.

Lenke til kommentar
Hvorfor skulle garantien ryke? Står jo i manualen hvordan man tar ut en HDD. Blir som at garantien ryker på en bil fordi du setter på andre dekk og felger enn de som fulgte med.

PS3 er strukturelt bygget for HDD med 5400 rpm. 7200 vil generere mer varme enn maskinen er beregnet for. Sammeligningen din blir derfor helt feil.

Kjøp en Suzuki Liana, innstaler en slik 3. parts effekt øker, og du er en garanti fattigere.

Lenke til kommentar

Ser ikke ut som om 7200rpm bryter garantien. Fant dette:

UPDATE: Warranty: I spoke with Sony support about this and the representative told me the whole point of the PS3 having an upgradeable HDD is so that users can use bigger and better Hard drives. She told me without any hesitations that this does not break Warranty.

First, This is the drive I went with. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822145181 to replace the 60gig 5400rpm drive that came with the PS3. The drive I got showed the best bang for the buck @ only $1 per gig. Lowest of all the 7200rpm drive I have seen. And capacity is not a concern to me since I have a machine with 2TB of storage space already. First the Tempature Test. This one has been WAY overhyped. I attached a temperature probe to both drives while they were inside the PS3. Now I did the test in Faherenheit. These temps were the highest temps noted w/ room temp of 78.

5400rpm - 111 degrees / 43.9c

7200rpm - 116 degrees / 46.6c

Yep, only a 5 degree difference between the two. I can safely say there is no risk of using a 7200rpm from the heat. Maybe some of the older 7200's got hotter. But the newer ones don't seem to produce enough heat for this to be a concern.

Update: I changed over and ran some more tests to check exhaust temps. I played different games and even ran F@H just to check on some things and here's what I got.

5400rpm - 129 degrees or 53.9c

7200rpm - 131 degrees or 55.0c

Now these temps are the highest I could hit before the fan kicked in to high. Once that happened, the temps dropped back down. So I don't think the 7200 drive really made much of an impact on temps. There might be some games out there that do a better job at stressing out the PS3, but I don't have any of those. note: Others may get different results depending on location, air flow, and room temps. For my temps, I tried to maintain a room temp of 78, my PS3 is vertical, and it sits about 3 feet from a cold air duct.

Moving along to actual performance. I did this the most acurate way I could. I recorded the PS3 using a tuner card so that I can compare timestamps in the video to get a clear timeframe. I will post all the videos I used at the end of this thread. First. Install times. I used 4 games for this. And it tested how fast to install the game after downloading it from PSN. I went min:sec.ms.

Note: they were not donloaded in order so their arrangement on the drive was unknown.

Yes, this can play a factor in the final numbers. Also dealing with such large files. The cache of the HDD doesn't play as big a part as one would think.

GT-HD

5400rpm - 1:42.636

7200rpm - 1:32.993

Almost 10 seconds off the install time. About 10% increase in speed.

Jericho demo

5400rpm - 2:08.629

7200rpm - 1:58.685

Again, about 10 seconds off install time. And about 8% increase in speed.

Tony Hawk demo

5400rpm - 4:11.184

7200rpm - 3:32.045

Almost 40 seconds off it's install time. Coming in at a nice 16% increase in speed.

DiRT demo

5400rpm - 1:29.289

7200rpm - 1:25.385

This one had 4 seconds shaved off. Not as good, but still about 5% increase in speed.

All said. The installs averaged about a 9 - 10% increase in speed. Not bad really.

Now let's look at a file transfer. Although it still has the USB bottleneck of 480Mb/s and I am aware of this bottleneck. The results were different.

I tested this with an external 7200rpm HDD.

188MB file transfer

5400rpm - 16.316

7200rpm - 14.882

That was 1.5 seconds off the transfer rate. Coming in at about 9% increase in speed. Again. This is not a bad increase in speed. Moving along to game loading times. I used 2 Demos and 1 full game for this part.

Jericho level load

5400rpm - 17.417

7200rpm - 16.650

Shaved off almost a second. With almost 5% increase in speed.

Tony Hawk startup load

5400rpm - 18.285

7200rpm - 17.351

Same, almost one second off load time and about 5% increase in speed.

Now this last test I used Oblivion since it keeps a large amount of data on the HDD. This is a good way of seeing how games might act if future games incorporate the same abilities. I did 3 loading tests on this one.

Oblivion

Initial load

5400rpm - 21.355

7200rpm - 19.253 J

ust over 2 seconds off loading time. Close to 10% increase.

2nd load (map change)

5400rpm - 10.244

7200rpm - 09.543

Almost a second off load time. But a 7% increase in speed.

3rd load (another map change)

5400rpm - 12.479

7200rpm - 10.110

That one was nice at almost 2.5 seconds off. And a wopping 19% increase in speed.

Note: A key thing to look at is the percentage times rather then the actual time. 1 second out of 100 is nothing, but 1 second out of 10 becomes more profound. When dealing with operations that take very little time to complete, it becomes increasingly difficult to gain performance. Even small gains in performance. That is the reason I do not blow off even a 1 second increase in performance.

Conclusion: Honestly, from my findings, a 7200rpm does show an increase in performance. Some only a little, some a lot. But every single test the 7200rpm drive beat out the 5400rpm in speed. From this, I would say that a 7200rpm drive is safe and effective inside a PS3. Though being more expensive, the cost difference isn't really a whole hell of a lot. And if you are like me and you want speed more then capacity. By all means. Get a 7200rpm drive. If you want capacity at a lower cost, then stick with a 5400rpm. And here are the Videos I used to gather the data I used. All are in Divx format btw. Quality was a low priority. All the videos done on the 5400rpm drive. DiRT Install GT-HD Install Jericho Install Tony Hawk Install File Transfer Jericho Loading Tony Hawk Loading Oblivion Loading All the videos using the 7200rpm drive DiRT Install GT-HD Install Jericho Install Tony Hawk Install File Transfer Jericho Loading Tony Hawk Loading Oblivion Loading

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...