Gå til innhold

OGG vs MP3

Anbefalte innlegg

Nå begynner MP3-formatet virkelig å dra på åra, så det er mærklig det ikke har kommet noe som er veldig mye bedre enn det. MP3 (MPEG 1 Layer 3) ble faktisk brukt til kringkasting over ISDN-linjer under Alberville OL i '92. Noe jeg har merket meg er den enorme forskellen i MP3-filer med samme bitrate, noen av kodekene er jo helt ubruklige!

Mp3 ble ikke brukt den gangen, det du snakker om er MPEG1 Layer2, som har vært i bruk i lengre tid. Derfor er det også endel av f.eks VCD standarden, men MPEG1 Layer3 er endel nyere ('96 hvis jeg husker riktig).

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Ikke det nei...

Music Links via ISDN

Digital telephone networks (ISDN = Integrated Services Digital Network) offer reliable dial-up links with two 64 kbps data channels per basic rate adapter; other regional networks (in North-America) use 56 kbps data links. Transmission fees are often rather similar or identical to the traditional analog phone lines - those allow to transmit up to 28.8 kbps (V.34 modem) or even 32 kbps ("V.34+").

Using Layer-3, a low-cost narrowband ISDN connection allows to transmit CD-quality sound. Audio professionals, like broadcasting stations and sound studios, benefit from the "music-by-phone" application in various ways. They save money, as they only pay transmission fees for the actual time of usage (not 24 h a day in case of a leased phone line) and for a rather small data channel (one ISDN phone connector for a stereo music link). Radio stations increase the attractiveness of their programs, as reporters transmit high-quality takes (e.g. an interview) or live news without annoying "telephone sound". And new applications become possible, e.g. a "virtual studio", where remote artists may play along some preproduced material, without actually travelling to the studio.

Examples:

• In 1992, Radio FFN, a private broadcasting station in Niedersachsen, Germany, replaced its leased phone lines with ISDN and Layer-3 codecs, to transmit 8 local programs 20 min per day to the central broadcasting studio. This move saved them transmission fees of more than 300.000 US$ per year.

[*]As one of the first real-world trials, all private radio stations of Germany very successfully used Layer-3 codecs during the Winter Olympic Games in Albertville (France) as reporter links between the various sporting events and their central studio in Meribel.

[*]At the International Music Festival 92 in Bergen, Arne Nordheim composed a piece of music, where an organ in the church of Trondheim played along with the symphony orchestra in Bergen; the sound of the organ was transmitted via ISDN and a Layer- 3 codec.

Since 1992, various manufacturers are providing equipment ("codecs") for professional audio applications: AVT, Broadcast Electronics, CCS, Dialog 4, Telos.

Hele teksten kan leses her.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...