Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Ofcourse OS X is a distro, but I'd say that OS X has a certain higher lever of user-friendliniess than for example Ubuntu.

9011596[/snapback]

A distro (distribution) of what? OS X is not even a Unix variant (only based on a version of BSD), and Ubuntu isn't either; it's a Linux distro, which is not the same as a "Unix distro" (but that doesn't exist anyways)

Lenke til kommentar

To clear some questions according to relations between different operating systems, take a look at this neat graphic provided by Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Unix_history.en.svg

Anyway. Now I'm pretty sure, regardless of me running XP, Vista or OsX on my desktops, I must have a Lunix running om at least one of them. Now and forever.

(And by the way. The last few pages of Linux discussion rocks.)

edit:

I just couldn't resist:

badvista-trash.png

:!:

Endret av pwd3679
Lenke til kommentar
Thats a matter of opinion. : )

9011633[/snapback]

Hey, no bad words about Ubuntu. From next week on I will be running it on my server. :)

A distro (distribution) of what? OS X is not even a Unix variant (only based on a version of BSD), and Ubuntu isn't either; it's a Linux distro, which is not the same as a "Unix distro" (but that doesn't exist anyways)

9012051[/snapback]

OS X is Unix-based, which technically makes it a distro, although it has a lot of differences from other Unix-based distros.

Lenke til kommentar
Thats a matter of opinion. : )

9011633[/snapback]

Hey, no bad words about Ubuntu. From next week on I will be running it on my server. :)

9012051[/snapback]

OS X is Unix-based, which technically makes it a distro, although it has a lot of differences from other Unix-based distros.

9027890[/snapback]

There's nothing called "Unix based". Linux isn't based on Unix, and for example BSD isn't either. They both mimic the behavior and technical aspects of the Unix operating system that was developed and used back in the 70s and 80s. There's no Unix OS any more; when people say "Unix based", they mean what I mentioned above. Unix has become more of a standard than anything else.

So what do you mean when you say "distro"? The same as Linux distros (which are called that because they all use the same kernel, but are packaged and built differently on top of that kernel)?

Lenke til kommentar
There's nothing called "Unix based". Linux isn't based on Unix, and for example BSD isn't either. They both mimic the behavior and technical aspects of the Unix operating system that was developed and used back in the 70s and 80s. There's no Unix OS any more; when people say "Unix based", they mean what I mentioned above. Unix has become more of a standard than anything else.

So what do you mean when you say "distro"? The same as Linux distros (which are called that because they all use the same kernel, but are packaged and built differently on top of that kernel)?

9031608[/snapback]

I wasn't really the one to call OS X a distro to begin with. I thought it made a bit of sense, but I don't really know that much about Linux/*NIX.

Lenke til kommentar

9031608[/snapback]

Actually this isn't quite acurate. It's true that Linux isn't "unix based". Linux is "unix like".

However for example solaris is a true unix based system (based on unix system V release 4).

Basically for a system to be called UNIX it has to be certified as a Single UNIX Specification. This includes AIX, HP/UX, Mac OS X, Solaris, True64 unix, z/OS, etc. All of these qualify to be called UNIX.

Linux, different free BSD systems, etc. have not been certified and therfore cannot call themeselves UNIX, instead they are called UNIX-like systems.

I think what you are talking about is whats normally refered to as "traditional unix" including Version 7 unix and Unix system V.

If you are interested in this wikipedia has a nice article.

Endret av cyclo
Lenke til kommentar

9031608[/snapback]

Actually this isn't quite acurate. It's true that Linux isn't "unix based". Linux is "unix like".

However for example solaris is a true unix based system (based on unix system V release 4).

Basically for a system to be called UNIX it has to be certified as a Single UNIX Specification. This includes AIX, HP/UX, Mac OS X, Solaris, True64 unix, z/OS, etc. All of these qualify to be called UNIX.

Linux, different free BSD systems, etc. have not been certified and therfore cannot call themeselves UNIX, instead they are called UNIX-like systems.

I think what you are talking about is whats normally refered to as "traditional unix" including Version 7 unix and Unix system V.

If you are interested in this wikipedia has a nice article.

9031979[/snapback]

You (more or less) explained what I meant in more detail.

Lenke til kommentar
You (more or less) explained what I meant in more detail.

9032193[/snapback]

Could easily be ;-) But I reacted to this sentence:

There's no Unix OS any more; when people say "Unix based", they mean what I mentioned above.

a) There are operating systems today that are UNIX®.

b) People (who know what they are talking about) differenciate between unix-based and unix-like.

So it was only that one sentence I didn't agree with. I think however we both agree on what we are talking about.

But there are so many mistakes made by people here. It's quite scary.

A distro (distribution) of what? OS X is not even a Unix variant (only based on a version of BSD)

9012051[/snapback]

a) OS X at this moment is not unix. But as of october 2007 it will be. Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard", due to be released in October 2007, is an Open Brand UNIX 03 registered product.

b) BSD is UNIX :mad: But the free BSD systems are not, they are only UNIX-like.

9027890[/snapback]

This sentence doesn't make any sense. When we talk about distros we are talking about linux which is a unix-like system, not a unix-based system. There isn't anything called a "Unix-based distro".

Just a curiosity for those who didn't know. Apples OS X is actually Unix-based OS as well, just as Linux/GNU is. And therefore a kind of distro.

9010018[/snapback]

Linux/GNU is not a unix-based OS, it's a unix-like OS. OS X as of now is a unix-like OS, but the next version coming in september is UNIX® (or as many people call it unix-based)

® = registered trademark symbol

Hope nobody gets offended or angry because I pointed out these missunderstandings, but it sadens me to see how many people say things about different operating systems that are incorrect. Most people don't even know what an OS truely is, because Microsoft and Apple have "misused" the word for so many years.

Lenke til kommentar

To the unix/distro debate: As far as I concern, all OS must be related to each other more or less - in an os-evolutionary perspective. Just as Man are related to chimps and other mammals. There isn't very constructive nor very efficient to invent the wheel over and over again. Just to make it unique.

Lenke til kommentar
Hope nobody gets offended or angry because I pointed out these misunderstandings...

9032509[/snapback]

Not at all Cyclo. You are clearly one of extensive knowledge in the matter, and there are always mistakes and misunderstandings to clear up or opinions to battle.

Endret av pwd3679
Lenke til kommentar
http://www.openmoko.com/index.html changed their site a bit. But now for the big news, you can actually order the phone!

https://direct.openmoko.com/

Keep in mind that this release is intended for developers, meaning I wont order it myself just quite yet. I am however getting my hands on one of those babies the minute they become more friendly to towards "regular" people. :thumbup:

9033510[/snapback]

Why wait? By the time their phone hits mass market they will anounce the next model, so there will always be something to wait for.

Phase 0: Developers Preview

We will give away free phones to selected members of the developer community. At this point, the full source code to the product will become publicly available. We are committed to cooperating with the community in the interest of making the official developer launch a smooth experience. Also, at this time, all the community websites will be updated with content from the new device.

Phase 1: Official Developer Launch

We will sell the Neo device direct from openmoko.com. Sales and orders will be worldwide. We are specifically targeting open source community developers.

Phase 2: Mass Market Sale

Online sales will continue. We will also be available in a retail stores and selected carriers around the world. At this point, we hope your mom and dad will want to buy a Neo, too. The next generation OpenMoko device will also be introduced at this time.

Anyhow. I really hope I can cough up the money for this phone soon. On one condition, that it runs perl. My whole adult lifte I've dreamt about a phone able to run perl scripts. :)

Edit: I withdraw my statement. The mass market released phone (due october?) will include wifi, so I guess I'll have to wait for that release myself. Eventhough it will cost an extra 150$ :(

Endret av cyclo
Lenke til kommentar

I think this thread died out sometime long ago. I really suck at creating advanced English sentences, but I`ll give it a go. This is a English thread afterall! ;)

So.. have to find something that`s not technically to hard to talk about, but English..ly advanced!

So. Summer really is.. great, huh..? :p

Lenke til kommentar
Gjest Slettet+9871234

That could just be a spelling error :)

How's everyone doing? I'm going to leave for two weeks in about 2-3 hours :( West-Finnmark is such a boring place...

Lenke til kommentar

I am in Oslo. I am a bit bored. I am coming home in a few days after a three week vacation. Going to play WoW and set up my blog and other site again since I am changing hosting/domain companies. Waiting for my parents to get home from IKEA, then I am going to a friend of my father for the night.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...