Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

This is almost what I said in my original post, but I want to make some comments here.

1. I'm at school.

2. I'm in school.

1. This does not imply that I study anything, I'm just on the school grounds or in a building which happens to be a school.

2. This implies that I'm actually studying something.

Not quite. At school implies a specific school, while in school implies in general. In school implies that you are a student, but you can still be at school:

-So Bob, what do you do for a living?

-I'm in school.

-Hey Bob. I was thinking of poping by.

-We'll acutally I'm at school right now.

We can use this on the example with a hospital like this.

1. I'm at the hospital.

2. I'm in the hospital.

1. I'm not hospitalized but I'm at a hospital or a hospitals grounds.

2. I'm actually hospitalized.

The computer is at the hospital.

This is, as you said, a perfectly constructed sentence, but it does not mean that the computer is sick and that's the reason why it's at this hospital. I'll say it again, I might be wrong, but if there is any logic to this I'm right. :)

8946380[/snapback]

Here is were I dissagree. Sentence 2. doesn't imply that you are actually hospitalized. It' implies that you are inside a hospital building. There is a difference between in the hospital and in hospital. The first implies that you are inside a specific hospital building, the second implies that you are hospitalized. So there are actually three choices here:

1. I'm at the hospital

2. I'm in the hospital

3. I'm in hospital

Endret av cyclo
Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
People, forget my freaking computer and lets get on with something else to discuss.

8946711[/snapback]

This is starting to get pretty darn boring, yes. I'm all for something new. :thumbup:

With that in mind, I'll be going away for a few days this week, so I won't be able to take any part in it, for now, anyway.

Peace out, people.

Lenke til kommentar

*cut*

Here is were I dissagree. Sentence 2. doesn't imply that you are actually hospitalized. It' implies that you are inside a hospital building. There is a difference between in the hospital and in hospital. The first implies that you are inside a specific hospital building, the second implies that you are hospitalized. So there are actually three choices here:

1. I'm at the hospital

2. I'm in the hospital

3. I'm in hospital

8946671[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that you are totally wrong on this one. You cannot say: "I'm in hospital". That doesn't make any sense, compare it with: "I'm in car". I'm not sure what it's called, but this is the same thing in Norwegian too:

1. I banken.

2. På postkontoret.

You can't say: "Jeg er i postkontoret" and expect people to understand that you are at the post office and not in the post office.

Jeg er på postkontoret doesn't mean "I'm on the post office" but it translates "I'm at the post office".

I'll translate these examples from English to Norwegian to clarify what I mean.

1. I'm in the hospital.

2. I'm at the hospital.

3. I'm on the hospital

4. I'm in hospital.

1. Jeg er på sykehuset.

2. Jeg er på sykehuset.

3. Jeg er på sykehuset.

4. Does not compute in my ears.

In Norwegian 1-3 means can be expressed with the same sentence. Therefore you can't think Norwegian and translate a sentence to English because that will always give you trouble like this. To explain, I'll translate the same sentences to give the correct meaning in Norwegian.

1. Jeg er lagt inn på sykehus.

2. Jeg er i sykehuset. Siden vi bruker preposisjonen "på" i alle tilfellene så bruker jeg her "i" for å presisere forskjellen.

3. Jeg er oppå sykehuset.

* at for a POINT

* in for an ENCLOSED SPACE

* on for a SURFACE

Lenke til kommentar
Now that that's cleared up, how about we put this discussion to rest? Maybe even bury it completely, or better yet, stuff it in a crate and throw it in the ocean.

8946864[/snapback]

And why shouldn't we be allowed to discuss grammar? We obviously both find the topic interesting. You don't see me bitching every time you guys discuss WOW page up and page down, even though I find WOW to be probably the least interesting subject thinkable.

Lenke til kommentar
Now that that's cleared up, how about we put this discussion to rest? Maybe even bury it completely, or better yet, stuff it in a crate and throw it in the ocean.

8946864[/snapback]

And why shouldn't we be allowed to discuss grammar? We obviously both find the topic interesting. You don't see me bitching every time you guys discuss WOW page up and page down, even though I find WOW to be probably the least interesting subject thinkable.

8946885[/snapback]

I almost feel like that was an insult. Me, and WoW? Why the hell do you label, or even associate me with the worst game ever made? I'd rather eat a cockroach, then play world of warcraft. I am not "you guys", as you so eloquently put it.

Also, I did in no way "forbid" you guys from discussing grammar, believe me - I'm all for that. The reason I commented on your discussion is because half this thread has now developed into a discussion between a few people, debating whether it's okay to use the phrase "in hospital".

Edit:

In any case, I'd love to stay and chat, but as it happens, I have to leave. I'll be back on Thursday (i think), so I guess I'll see you all then.

Bye.

Endret av Stian89
Lenke til kommentar

Klikk for å se/fjerne innholdet nedenfor

8946864[/snapback]

8946885[/snapback]

I almost feel like that was an insult. Me, and WoW? Why the hell do you label, or even associate me with the worst game ever made? I'd rather eat a cockroach, then play world of warcraft. I am not "you guys", as you so eloquently put it.

Also, I did in no way "forbid" you guys from discussing grammar, believe me - I'm all for that. The reason I commented on your discussion is because half this thread has now developed into a discussion between a few people, debating whether it's okay to use the phrase "in hospital".

8946925[/snapback]

Never meant to imply that you had anything to do with WOW. You just happened to be the last person to say anything.

And normally when discussing something like grammar one finishes the discussion.

Two days ago the whole discussion of that day was "define a leet kid" with very few participants. Nobody complained. So what's the big difference?

And three weeks ago the only topic here for weeks was exams and grades. Did you hear me complain?

Lenke til kommentar

8946864[/snapback]

8946885[/snapback]

8946925[/snapback]

Never meant to imply that you had anything to do with WOW. You just happened to be the last person to say anything.

And normally when discussing something like grammar one finishes the discussion.

Two days ago the whole discussion of that day was "define a leet kid" with very few participants. Nobody complained. So what's the big difference?

And three weeks ago the only topic here for weeks was exams and grades. Did you hear me complain?

8946970[/snapback]

No, I did not hear you complain. With that said, I really didn't pay any attention to those discussions, so I really wouldn't know.

I understand that you reacted pretty negatively to me suggesting that it was time to end the "hospital" discussion. For that, I apologize. Nevertheless, me hinting that a discussion is starting to get pretty worn out, doesn't mean that I'm trying to play God saying "I forbid you to discuss grammar", I was merely breaking the tension.

edit

So what do you say? Let's drop the "conflict" between us, seeing as this is not very interesting neither here nor there.

Have a nice day. :)

Endret av Stian89
Lenke til kommentar
Oh my freaking god, it's not THAT important.

8946793[/snapback]

If we can get out of this a little smarter it is in fact important. I happen to like the English language and want to express myself as correctly as possible. I thought that this thread was started for us to improve our English, but I might be wrong.

I'm still not completely sure about this but I'll get to the bottom of it soon. :)

Lenke til kommentar

Oh my freaking god, it's not THAT important.

8946793[/snapback]

If we can get out of this a little smarter it is in fact important. I happen to like the English language and want to express myself as correctly as possible. I thought that this thread was started for us to improve our English, but I might be wrong.

I'm still not completely sure about this but I'll get to the bottom of it soon. :)

8947037[/snapback]

I agree with you totally :)

Anyhow... I googled it and found one article that might help here, and here's one more.

You would never say in American English that some is a nurse "in hospital." Instead you would say "at a hospital." (In British English, however, they do say "in hospital," rather than "in the hospital" as we would say in the U.S.)

I don't know the reason for the "in hospital/in the hospital" difference. I've read probably as many books by British authors as by Americans, and I haven't noticed any difference in meaning or perception (or, I suppose, my "perceived perception"!). The phrases seem to be used in exactly the same way, so I suspect that in this case, it's just one of those times when the British and Americans are "separated by a common language," as someone once said.

Anyhow. This is really tricky question seeing as it was a computer and not a human, "It's at the (computer)hospital" might be the correct way of stating that the computer is sick. If for example your dog is sick, you would say that your dog is "at the vet" not "in the vet". Also if your computer broke down you would say it's "at the service center" not "in the service center", and the hospital in this case is a metaphore for a service center. Jesus, I'm starting to confuse my self.

Endret av cyclo
Lenke til kommentar
hospital   Show phonetics

noun [C or U]

a place where people who are ill or injured are treated and taken care of by doctors and nurses:

a general/children's/maternity hospital

hospital patients/staff

UK I've got to go (in)to hospital (US to the hospital) for three weeks to have an operation.

UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH She spent a week in hospital (US in the hospital) last year.

From the Cambridge Online Dictionary.

I'll translate these examples from English to Norwegian to clarify what I mean.

1. I'm in the hospital.

2. I'm at the hospital.

3. I'm on the hospital

4. I'm in hospital.

1. Jeg er på sykehuset.

2. Jeg er på sykehuset.

3. Jeg er på sykehuset.

4. Does not compute in my ears.

The "the" is the definite article in English. "Sykehuset" is the definite form of that noun in Norwegian. "I'm in hospital" on the other hand is the indefinite form, and would translate to Norwegian as "Jeg er på sykehus".

Endret av Machius
Lenke til kommentar

8946864[/snapback]

:!:

Edit: Posting is Good for the tread no matter what the current topic is (in my opinion). And serious grammar discussion isn't exactly pulling the quality of discussion down. And there is always a chance of having two or more parallel topics going on at same time?

Keep it up. Fellow English lovers.

Endret av pwd3679
Lenke til kommentar
Does fruitcake mean anything special in English? A guy was laughing at my name when it was translated to English.

8980999[/snapback]

Fruitcake is sort of a synonym for idiot, moron, oddball, dumbass etc. :)

Edit.

You should also check out the urban dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fruitcake

For instance, here's one take on it:

a fruitcake is someone that is either homosexual or acts oddly on a daily basis
Endret av Stian89
Lenke til kommentar

":: Tired of getting constantly fucked over by micosoft? Then pull your head out of your ass."

Totally agree with that. I have had such a great time post XP, it is hard to explain. Sorry MS, your OS is great, no doubt about that, but be aware there is a serious threat lurking in the background, threatening the reign of you OS-empire. And it has just begun. Go Linux.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...