Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

All in all there is really nothing much to conplain about.

Current Status Norway:

-No war/wars or violent fighting between minorities.

-No secterian violence.

-Stable goverments and good national echonomy.

-Healthcare is mostly free of charge and well established.

-World class social benefits

-Wery low unemployment and allround high personal income.

-Major infectious diseases is very low.

-Expected average age is as high as 79.

If Norway was a Corporation...You could safely put your money into it.

8512377[/snapback]

Why do we then have a group of scum protesting against our society? I really don't get it.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Because humans in general always strive for something better (it's in our nature). And when you're in an extremely good situation, it's harder to find something to strive for, so instead we make up stuff to complain about.

It's the same as the worlds richest people. They have more money than they could possibly use in their lifetime, yet they strive for more. (Or bitch about how much taxes they have to pay)

Endret av cyclo
Lenke til kommentar
Because humans in general always strive for something better (it's in our nature). And when you're in an extremely good situation, it's harder to find something to strive for, so instead we make up stuff to complain about.

It's the same as the worlds richest people. They have more money than they could possibly use in their lifetime, yet they strive for more. (Or bitch about how much taxes they have to pay)

8513186[/snapback]

Might I ask how a non-governmental system without public health care, police or fire department, but with secutiry firms and/or people taking the business into their own hands is a better society than a western democracy?

Or how about how a totalitarian state with a single ruler led to power by an armed revolution by a minor group in our society who surpresses the people and kill anyone who objects to any governmental actions?

Lenke til kommentar

Norway isnt as good as most people try to make it. There is a lot of people that are left out in the cold, not getting the help they should get, atleast if the health system is as good as people claim.

Its easy to make a list with good things, without looking into how many that dont fit into that list, and is being taken care off.

Lenke til kommentar
Norway isnt as good as most people try to make it. There is a lot of people that are left out in the cold, not getting the help they should get, atleast if the health system is as good as people claim.

Its easy to make a list with good things, without looking into how many that dont fit into that list, and is being taken care off.

8513754[/snapback]

Unfortunately, there will always be people left behind. There is no possible way to make sure every last single citizen has a house, enough money, food, water and education.

Lenke til kommentar
True, but I am thinking mainly on medical help. The hospitals have to save money, so instead of useing all there rooms, they put people in the hallways. Explain why that should be the case in the "worlds best country".

8513970[/snapback]

I'll agree with you on that, we need som serious reorganizing in our health care politics.

Lenke til kommentar

I had Norwegian mock exam today, and it went straight to hell. Now I'm just preparing myself for English mock exam on Friday, which I still haven't got the subject for. I've done good in English so far this year, but I have a bad feeling about Friday, so I'm just writing this to make myself comfortable with the language.

I've been watching a lot of the TV series The West Wing lately, anyone else who like the show?

Lenke til kommentar
What's the English word for "rus"? Intoxication?

8526409[/snapback]

You can use both intoxication and inebriation. Intoxication is the same as poisoning, but it a good word for "rus", since alcohol consument is poison.

8526567[/snapback]

But if intoxicated means forgifta, it might sound a bit weird when talking about alcohol.

Lenke til kommentar
MAY vs MIGHT

What's the difference?

8526709[/snapback]

Not sure, though this seems somewhat reasonable. (Found it on some forum)

MAY is alot more formal, especially when asking a question to elders. MIGHT is used as both, you are correct, but it doesn't sound as good as MAY does when asking something. Personally, I use MAY to ask a question, and MIGHT to express uncertainty.

This may only be me, but you can usually read the sentence and see which one sounds better, but both are extremely similar in meaning.

1. May I go to the movies with my friends?

2. I might go to the movies with my friends.

Lenke til kommentar

This is from bbc's learning english website:

Similarly, we can use the modal auxiliaries may or might to say that there is a chance that something is true or may happen. May and might are used to talk about present or future events. They can normally be used interchangeably, although might may suggest a smaller chance of something happening. Compare the following:

I may go into town tomorrow for the Christmas sales. And James might come with me!

What are you doing over the New Year, Ann? ~ Oh, I may go to Scotland, but there again, I might stay at home.

If you go to bed early tonight, you may / might feel better tomorrow.

If you went to bed early tonight, you might feel better tomorrow.

One of my New Year resolutions is to go to the gym twice a week! ~ And pigs might fly!

Note that 'Pigs might fly' is a fixed expression and always uses might. It means that something will never happen.

In the first conditional example, will perhaps could be substituted.

In the second conditional example, where might is an alternative for would perhaps, may cannot be substituted.

That last paragraph is important to note because “might” is also the past tense of the auxiliary verb “may,” and is required in sentences like “Chuck might have avoided arrest for the robbery if he hadn’t given the teller his business card before asking for the money.” When speculating that events might have been other than they were, don’t substitute “may” for “might."

So to sum it all up:

In presense and future may and might are interchangable. Might can suggest a smaller chance of something happening.

Might is the past tense of the auxilliary verb may, and therefor you cannot use may in past tense. Always use might.

Finally, I can add that may can be used as a substitute for can, when asking a question, giving it more formality:

Can I go out and play?

May I go out and play?

This is getting less common, but some people still feel strongly that may is used for asking permission while can only implies physical ability.

Hope this helps you guys... The quote is from bbc.com and my comments are below. I might/may edit this later ;-)

Endret av cyclo
Lenke til kommentar
What's the English word for "rus"? Intoxication?

8526409[/snapback]

You can use both intoxication and inebriation. Intoxication is the same as poisoning, but it a good word for "rus", since alcohol consument is poison.

8526567[/snapback]

But if intoxicated means forgifta, it might sound a bit weird when talking about alcohol.

8526698[/snapback]

As previously stated, alcohol is basically a poison (of course all substances become poisonous in large enough amounts - yes you can die from oxygen poisoning, funny as it sounds.)

Both inebriated and intoxicated could be used.

Lenke til kommentar
This is from bbc's learning english website:

Similarly, we can use the modal auxiliaries may or might to say that there is a chance that something is true or may happen. May and might are used to talk about present or future events. They can normally be used interchangeably, although might may suggest a smaller chance of something happening. Compare the following:

I may go into town tomorrow for the Christmas sales. And James might come with me!

What are you doing over the New Year, Ann? ~ Oh, I may go to Scotland, but there again, I might stay at home.

One of my New Year resolutions is to go to the gym twice a week! ~ And pigs might fly!

Note that 'Pigs might fly' is a fixed expression and always uses might. It means that something will never happen.

In the first conditional example, will perhaps could be substituted.

In the second conditional example, where might is an alternative for would perhaps, may cannot be substituted.

That last paragraph is important to note because “might” is also the past tense of the auxiliary verb “may,” and is required in sentences like “Chuck might have avoided arrest for the robbery if he hadn’t given the teller his business card before asking for the money.” When speculating that events might have been other than they were, don’t substitute “may” for “might."

So to sum it all up:

In presense and future may and might are interchangable. Might can suggest a smaller chance of something happening.

Might is the past tense of the auxilliary verb may, and therefor you cannot use may in past tense. Always use might.

Finally, I can add that may can be used as a substitute for can, when asking a question, giving it more formality:

Can I go out and play?

May I go out and play?

This is getting less common, but some people still feel strongly that may is used for asking permission while can only implies physical ability.

Hope this helps you guys... The quote is from bbc.com and my comments are below. I might/may edit this later ;-)

8526963[/snapback]

To clarify this, using "can" in these situations is technically incorrect, for the question you're asking. If you want to ask if you're allowed to go outside, you use may. If you're inquiring as to the possibility of your going outside and playing, you would use can. 99% of the time you're asking, it's supposed to be may, though most people will use can anyway because they're lazy, or something. heh.

may vs. might:

they mean pretty much the same thing, and most of the time you can use them interchangeably. most of the time you can just use might and it'll work. Might + have and past tense verb for past tense.

I may go to the movies later.

I might go to the movies later.

same thing.

I may have gone to the movies earlier, but i can't remember.

I might have gone to the movies earlier, but I can't remember.

same thing.

may can mean the same thing as might, but might can't mean the same thing as may (as in, allowed to do something) for example.

I hope that makes sense ;P

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...