Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

So the point of this thread is to develop one's English skills? With Internet at home and work being mostly in English, I think I I write more English than Norwegian. Well that's if I didn't post so much here :mrgreen: Perhaps that will change now though.

Question.

Do you write US or UK English? If so, do you make a conscious choice to use either or is it a simple matter of "I learned X first"? Or do you not make a distinction and blend the two?

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
Question.

Do you write US or UK English? If so, do you make a conscious choice to use either or is it a simple matter of "I learned X first"? Or do you not make a distinction and blend the two?

8387243[/snapback]

I want to write UK English. I also try not to sound too wannabe-American when talking English. However, I'm exposed to far more US English than UK English.

I don't know all the differences between US and UK English. Subway/tube, Color/colour, sidewalk/pavement...That's about it. Are there many big differences?

Question: The abbreviation eg. is often used in English. I know that it means the same as "for example" , but what exactly is it short for, and how is it pronounced?

Endret av Drillo
Lenke til kommentar
Question.

8387243[/snapback]

I want to write UK English. I also try not to sound too wannabe-American when talking English. However, I'm exposed to far more US English than UK English.

I don't know all the differences between US and UK English. Subway/tube, Color/colour, sidewalk/pavement...That's about it. Are there many big differences?

Question: The abbreviation eg. is often used in English. I know that it means the same as "for example" , but what exactly is it short for, and how is it pronounced?

8387254[/snapback]

E.g. is short for the Latin "exempli gratia" which means for example.

I try to write UK English as well, but the American influence is strong in todays society, there is no doubt about that.

Lenke til kommentar

Yes, to me too. I guess it's because we didn't have any choice when I attended to primary school, and didn't know that I could choose to write either 'color' or 'colour' before my last year in comprehensive school. So I think that most of my English words are UK-ish.

And one more of the differences you wanted, Drillo: candy/sweets. I remember that our teacher told us about that in 5th grade, I think.

Edit: I have one little question myseslf. Is it allowed to pronounce words with an Australian accent in school these days?

And another thing.. I don't really understand the grade system anymore.

How can a student attending to college (What's the UK word for that?:p) who barely speaks English in class, and when the person opens its mouth, the words comming out sound less English then a sheep trying to bark?

Endret av KristianG
Lenke til kommentar

Well, I would vary the pronunciation depending on the audience. Not everyone would know exempli gratia when you say it, while others would. Where it would be reasonable to assume that your audience would know the meaning, I would use it. If not, I "dumb it down" to for example. You don't want to to sound like a show-off either ;)

Endret av MrLee
Lenke til kommentar

I don't see anyone around The Internet (is it written with a big T as well) saying f.ex, it's ought to be much simpler than for example. As for the one not trying to sound like a wannabe American, the one thing to start with is to cut the 'Æ' instead of the 'A' when you pronounce things. Americans love to say 'Æ' instead of 'A', f.ex 'I Æsked you', not 'I asked you'. The last mentioned is UK English. By the way, does anyone know the gramatical rule for whose or whom?

Lenke til kommentar
I don't see anyone around The Internet (is it written with a big T as well) saying f.ex, it's ought to be much simpler than for example. As for the one not trying to sound like a wannabe American, the one thing to start with is to cut the 'Æ' instead of the 'A' when you pronounce things. Americans love to say 'Æ' instead of 'A', f.ex 'I Æsked you', not 'I asked you'. The last mentioned is UK English. By the way, does anyone know the gramatical rule for whose or whom?

8387800[/snapback]

"Whom" is an object pronoun like "him," "her" and "us". We use "whom" to ask which person receives an action.

EXAMPLES:

Whom are you going to invite?

Whom did he blame for the accident?

Whom did he hire to do the job?

I think it's relatively rarely used. Maybe it's also ok to write e.g. "Who are you going to invite"?

"Whose" is a possessive pronoun like "his," "her" and "our". We use "whose" to find out which person something belongs to.

EXAMPLES:

Whose camera is this?

Whose dog is barking outside?

Whose cell phone keeps ringing?

Endret av Drillo
Lenke til kommentar

My only comment is for the last line really. I am sure wiser heads than mine could think of better ways to express the other sentences but the last one stood out as particularly "engrish"

Input on this anyone?

Removed by original author's request.

Endret av MrLee
Lenke til kommentar
Just this little error:

A2: The prices have rised with 5% during 2002, according to numbers published by the government.

"prices" is plural.

8405739[/snapback]

I guess "increased" would be a better fit than "rised" as well, seeing as "rised" is not an actual word. If you still want to use "to rise" instead of "increased", i suggest you make it risen instead of "rised".

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...