Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

I know I'm not supposed to have monologs in this tread and I'm supposed to avoid them. Sorry, can't do.

Have homework for tomorrow in english. Haven't started yet, and ... I'm an idiot. Yeah, a complete jerk! Why the hell am I sitting here, writing this crap in bad/simple english when I really should start with my homework. And why is my document empty ... idiot, yeah.

Can say what this homework is: Write about film sounds in a spesific movie I have selected. Dont know what or how long it is ment to be, but i think i will find it out when i get it back. The film I have choosed to review sounds from is Saving Private Ryan. Funny thing: I search for the name in the IMDB-database. The title I was looking for was on top as top result or something. But as I looked further down the list I saw this funny movie title: Shaving Ryans Private. I closed my eyes ... DAMN! Yuck! OPEN THEM, OPEN THEM! ... think on something else! I did. Can't remember what i tought of, but I know this was around six o'clock. An now the clock is 01:18. Still haven't started.

Will I start now? I was thinking of doing this -- I'm a polite student, expected to do what I'm told. But the last week I don't know wheter I've been myself or someone else. I've spent several hours in front of the computer the last week. Guess I'm just tired of school. Will be good to have eastern-hollyday the next days. In Africa actually (Tunis, but still).

Yeah, think thats it. And it's time to start doing homework.

8271246[/snapback]

Well, now you don't need to think of homework for at least a week. God I Love having vacation :love:

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

I was just doing a search on "messenger live!" and found this thread, luckily! :) My english skills are far from excellent, but I have done a bit of script and application language translations, and I communicate in english on the net just about every day. My major issue is improving my spoken english. Fortunately, using a mic and voice chat has become pretty common in recent years, which will help a great deal.

I would like to suggest a very nice way of improving your general english skills:

RP (Role Play). By that, I mean serious RP, not running around killing monsters using words such as "noob!", "plz" and so on, but using it as a method of learning to speak to other players in a role playing sense. It could be a graphical MMORPG game, or even a text based chat system. It really adds a lot of pressure on you that way; you have to think fast and choose your wording carefully. I know it sounds silly most likely, but one of the most demanding RP situations that I have ever experienced, was when working as a female exotic dancer in a virtual onlineworld. I was good at it, if I may say so, the guys loved my performance and gave me huge tips, which in turn forced me to type as fast as my keyboard would let me, emoting how I appreciated their tips and suggesting in a RP sense how I accepted the tips. My clients loved it, but it was also very exhausting. I still have that job and go back to it now and then, but it wears me out when doing it for a couple of hours, no matter how good the tips might be, and I usually logged off with a headache from all the creative writing! ;)

I would recommend RP anyway, it really is a great way if you want to improve your english skills. Even spoken, if you they use a microphone in addition to keyboard for the chatting. Role players have a very dedicated attention to detail in the way they speak, compared to the avarage casual gamers. I learned that the first time I dived into that pool at the deep end in the MMORPG game Anarchy Online. I joined an org called Shattered Dreams, and they were (are, actually) heavily into RP. Very nice people, but it startled me nonetheless when I realized how challenging RP really is (and fun!). So, give RP a try. You might even enjoy it!

Other than that.. establish your own blog, create a homepage, find you friends from all over the world with similar interests (this is 2007, finding new friends on the internet has never been easier).

Great thread, by the way! :w00t:

(there you go.. I had to edit a typo already)

Endret av Sundiver
Lenke til kommentar

Ah dear God, hell week is over, I can hereby live happily ever after.

Monday: Realising I have to edit more or less the entire Radio project alone (studying Media and Communication).

Tuesday: Starting on "Episk Diktning" from 1980 - 2005 in Norway

Wednesday: Delivered a MIS (Medier Individ og Samfunn) task about how 2006 was a important year when it comes to "eierskapsforholdene". Also did a 70s litterature task. Had to study for a test about the world echonomics.

Thursday: The test, delivered the Radio project (which I singlehandedly edited) and two articles for the newspaper.

Friday: Deliver a report of the Radio project and delivering an English project about the Victorian Era.

Now I've arrived in Oslo... it's eastern... I'm exhausted... it's

!
Lenke til kommentar

Some months ago I was in deployment in the ambulance service at the University Hospital of North Norway. Because I am an EMT student I was allowed to be in the ambulance during their missions and it was two amazing weeks. To see different patients with heart trouble and broken arms was interesting, but there is one especially one mission that I just cant get out of my mind. Not because the episode was difficult to handle afterwards, but because it was the most amazing thing I ever felt.

The time was about 09.00 in the morning, me and my squad was driving through the middle of the city. It was mid-winter, the weather was fine. I was sitting in the backseat with all the medical instruments; we had just finished a mission. Suddenly the alarm went off, the central rushed us to what was supposed to be an elderly woman lying in bed having trouble with her breathing. Since we was very close to the incident we rushed to the address with strobes and sirens, we arrived just in four minutes. It was the relatives who made the emergency call, they appreciated our arrival on short notice.

We brought the monitor, trauma-bag and the main litter. I think we went two floors upstairs. In a white painted room we met this elderly woman. This woman had a literally much more white face than the fresh painted walls. The relatives said that patient had asthma and a brain damage, so she couldn’t communicate verbal with us. Her respiration rate was 40 breaths per minute, which is fast and close to hyperventilation. The sound of her breathing indicated that she was fighting for oxygen, her lips was blue. Because of her asthma we gave her Ventoline ® and oxygen on a mask. She did not slow down her breathing, and after a while she got a bit jumpy for some reason. During the transport to the hospital we continuously gave her oxygen, and after a while the blue cyanotic colour on her lips disappeared. However, her respiration rate was the same.

When we arrived at the hospital we fist of all brought her to the resuscitation room. After handling over documentations I was free to have a chat with the doctor. He told me that the treatment we gave the woman worked, and that she now could breathe easily. Without saying it out loud I was thinking “well, moving on”… and so we did.

We were sent out on a new mission, this took a few hours. I think it was a man with a broken arm, we brought him to a clinic at the hospital. After this second mission was finished I was walking down a corridor. That was when I noticed this familiar face, it was the elderly woman with asthma. I think she was transferred to another area. As mentioned this woman did not have any language, she couldn’t speak or move normally. But she smiled from ear to ear as a “thank you for helping me” and at the same time she moved her fingers against me. That is the most amazing thing I ever experienced! The feeling that your work did matter was, well, it is impossible to explain. I know for certain (edit: not curtain) that I will suit the occupation.

Well, I didn’t do the job. The paramedics did. I only was there to observe and to learn. But try to imagine a feeling like that, to be recognized by a patient and (as a student) be thanked for saving someone’s life. Amazing… Just amazing! I just love working with elderly patients.

Endret av eilertsen
Lenke til kommentar

Elders, huh.. I'm not a fan of them, really. At least the ones I don't know. I work at a food store in the "tilvalgsfag". And I work at a store that all the elder people go to, and it's hard to understand what they mean usually.

Excuse me, where is the cheese? A man said, when he was a few meters away from the creamery department. And the other time, a man asked me where the batterys was, it was right next to him. Yes, right next to him. I hope I won't be a dropout of college. I don't want to work at a food store for the rest of my life.

I noticed an error in your text, eilertsen. You said curtain instead of certain. A curtain is 'en gardin'. :)

Lenke til kommentar

Nice post Eilertsen. Let's hope you don't have to scrape remains out of a car wrecks from underneath trucks more than a couple of times a year. That's for what I understand the harder sides of paramedics. :)

Btw. No need to add the copyright sign after "Ventoline ®". No one gonna bring an action against you for not using the ® sign. It is unneccecary and is really an absurdity adopted from paranoid americans.

Lenke til kommentar
Nice post Eilertsen. Let's hope you don't have to scrape remains out of a car wrecks from underneath trucks more than a couple of times a year. That's for what I understand the harder sides of paramedics. :)

Btw. No need to add the copyright sign after "Ventoline ®". No one gonna bring an action against you for not using the ® sign. It is unneccecary and is really an absurdity adopted from paranoid americans.

8293012[/snapback]

I gave that a thought a while ago. The worst scenario that I came up to must have been children dying. Children are just so harmless, they never do anyone wrong. And the worst part is that they have their whole life in front of them.

®.. well, I don’t think its cool to use it. ;) I just put it there to make it more obvious that I was talking about a type of medicine. You know “Ventoline” sounds like a girls name, Latrina too. ::D

Lenke til kommentar

As most of my friends know, I am learning the skiing technique “telemark”. I always used to ride normal carvings but when I first tried telemark I always wanted to learn it. I borrowed my dads telemark skis today when I was at Tromsø Alpintsenter. Suddently this attachment binding piece of shit went off. The twist is that I was way up on this mountain right? What the heck was I supposed to do?

brokenpart.jpg

”Ok, I’ll just grab the ski with one hand and ride down on one foot”. That was easier said than done. Two meter deep pure powder, well those are good conditions for telemark. But with only one ski attached to my foot and the other one in my left hand? I hardly managed to ride approximately five meters at the time.

After a half an hour of struggling I came to this ski-service over there. I asked if they could help me, but they didn’t have any spare parts that were compatible with my kind of skis. So here I was with nothing to ride on and no money to rent new ones. So I hit the bus heading home. My dad took it pretty well... fortunately.

Lenke til kommentar

Well, just finished "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. I must say, he's skills as a writer are impressive. I got this special feeling that I just had to read more and more. No matter where I was, I kept thinking about what happend next in the book. Recommanding it to all of you.

Lenke til kommentar
Well, just finished "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. I must say, he's skills as a writer are impressive. I got this special feeling that I just had to read more and more. No matter where I was, I kept thinking about what happend next in the book. Recommanding it to all of you.

8323586[/snapback]

Did you read it while you were sittin' and shittin' too? Because then it's a really good book

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...