Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
I need a little bit of help. I need to translate "tidsrom" into english. Someone? :)

EDIT: if someone can help me translate "utspille" as well, that would have been lovely!

8027942[/snapback]

If you want, I can help you! :)

The English word for "tidsrom" could be either time span or space of time.

I'm not sure, but could "conquer" be the right word for "utspille"?

Maybe it'll be easier to translate if you put it in a sentence?

Anyways, our school had a survey of which websites we visited the most, and now they've closed the entrance for like 80% of what we wrote.

What an awful way to do things.

Lenke til kommentar
I need a little bit of help. I need to translate "tidsrom" into english. Someone? :)

EDIT: if someone can help me translate "utspille" as well, that would have been lovely!

8027942[/snapback]

If you want, I can help you! :)

The English word for "tidsrom" could be either time span or space of time.

I'm not sure, but could "conquer" be the right word for "utspille"?

Maybe it'll be easier to translate if you put it in a sentence?

8028129[/snapback]

Well, that is a good way of using the words. But you can also say "time" or "period", it really depends on the context what should be used.

Conquer would not be correct for "utspille". Conquer is "to win" in simple words.

Which words you can use for "utspille" depends on the sentence it is supposed to fit into.

Lenke til kommentar
I like "Annihilation". Does anyone else like that word? It's so brutal but still so classy.

8079735[/snapback]

There are words that not only describe situations, emotions or feelings through their definition, but also through their syllabic presence. Just as the word kitten is genuinely innocent and soft, the word pomposity gives off a pompous air and your example, annihilation, sounds menacing to those who aren't aware of the word's definition, the evolution of language ensures that emotional omomatopœia inspires the creation of fantastically alluring words. My favorite is the very menacing "cataclysmic".

There are of course also words that are spelled in such odd, creative or unimaginable ways that they become more than just letters in a row, but visual melodies. Once again annihilation stands out as an example, along with some personal favorites such as chequered, visceral, sobriquet and chimerical. Essentially anything with a q in it fascinates (another good word) me.

Lenke til kommentar

Btw. Just bumped into this site by an incredible japanese illustration artist calling himself Alien. Have patience. The server is most certan located in Asia, and are probably not suited for the heavy serverload me and others are generating by leaking his address at boards like this. A must see. And a must have for the desktop background picture collection. (Maybe unneccecary to say. As for all art, this one as well contains some nudity.)

Visit:http://www.alien1452.com/

Sample:

Klikk for å se/fjerne innholdet nedenfor
2005alien51_17.jpg
Endret av pwd3679
Lenke til kommentar
:!:

In totally english show off mode today, SteffyPants?

:thumbup:

8085026[/snapback]

I'm always in the mood to impress, but the sad thing is that my arrogance requires me to both speak and write like that regularly. Besides, it's good practice if I ever plan to write a novel.

By the way, that picture was ridiculously creepy. Anime women scare me.

Lenke til kommentar
Why are there so many difficult words out there?

Steffy; what is the main reason for your interest to learn advanced English?

8091046[/snapback]

Language is an interest of mine, and I find the english language to be the most versatile. There is so much to learn that no matter who you are, there'll always be something you don't know about the english language. This drives me to learn as much as possible, both in regards to vocabulary and grammar.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...