Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Gjest Slettet-PJ3x8Q2w
One of my biggest problems with English is knowing when to use a/an. I have never gotten that, and I never will.

Well, that's very simple, actually. 'An' before words starting with a vowel sound (notice that; it's the sound, not the letter itself), and 'a' before words starting with a consonant sound.

There are no other rules than that (not that I know of). How hard can that be? :)

7602054[/snapback]

Well, I know that. But I've forgotten the difference between a vowel and a consonant :ermm:

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
One of my biggest problems with English is knowing when to use a/an. I have never gotten that, and I never will.

Well, that's very simple, actually. 'An' before words starting with a vowel sound (notice that; it's the sound, not the letter itself), and 'a' before words starting with a consonant sound.

There are no other rules than that (not that I know of). How hard can that be? :)

7602054[/snapback]

Well, I know that. But I've forgotten the difference between a vowel and a consonant :ermm:

7602255[/snapback]

An old "rule" says that you can sing the vowels (a, e, i, o, u, y, etc.), and not the consonants (b, c, d, f, g, h, j, k, etc.)

Endret av Jaffe
Lenke til kommentar

I want to hear your views about something I have been thinking of recently.

I am wondering, do you prefer books in norwegian or english? And why?

I find that books in english gives me much more vivid imaginary scenes. I'm of the opinion that books written in norwegian lacks the big words, the words that make lifelike images appear in my head. English written books generally moves me more than others.

To this day I have only read a couple of dozen books in norwegian, and the english books I have read, I can't even begin to sum up by the number.

For instance, I prefer reading intelligent books of science fiction. I can't imagine reading such books in my own laguage.

Am I alone in this, or do some of you agree?

Lenke til kommentar

You're not alone. You actually put words on something I've been thinking about several times in the past. :)

Aside from what you've mentioned, I also generally prefer to read a book in the original language - that's the closest one will get to what the author originally intended, in my opinion. But this goes both ways, I prefer reading books by Norweigan authors in Norweigan, and books by British/American authors in English.

If I don't know the language the book originally was written in, I'll choose English over Norweigan.

Lenke til kommentar
I do prefer books in their original language 'cause you miss a lot of points, wordplays etc.

I havent noticed the lack of scenery and images in the translated versions though.

7613764[/snapback]

I didn't actually mean that the translated version had some of the scenery and imagery removed during translation. I meant that the norwegian words used in the translation often lacks the "punch" the original language makes use of. The english words used usually has more nuances than norwegian words. Think of the english language as a many facetted diamond, while norwegian is a lump of rock.

Endret av T-Solberg
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...