Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Subject of discussion for the night: stupid girls that ruin the English classes at school with their pure stupidity.

"Teacher, what does "whom" mean?"

I wouldn't be so bad if it was back in junior high school, but I'm talking about the five hour English course (is that the right word to use?) in the secound year of college.

7338770[/snapback]

We had the same "problem" when I was in the five hour English course. But we just made fun of them, so it was actually quite cool. The worst part was, however when some replied in Norwegian, which for some reason was totally accepted at our school.. I mean come on! It's a bloody english class :ermm:

Endret av geir_er_1337
Lenke til kommentar
Haha.. That's a good one. I've never understood the difference between an elk and a moose though. Anyone care to explain?

7338848[/snapback]

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/moose

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/elk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alces_alces

Same thing, different words. Moose is the American word, elk the European.

7338942[/snapback]

Wrong mate. It's not actually the same thing. Moose is the word for the north american elk. They actually differ from the Norwegian ones, they tend to get bigger, and if im not wrong they also get bigger antlers as well, not sure about the antlers thing though.

Endret av geir_er_1337
Lenke til kommentar

One shouldn't always trust Wikipedia fully... As you can see, it says there that they are the same species -- Alces alces. Encyclopaedia.com on the other hand, says that some see them as different species, with the moose being called Alces americana. Big beasts by the way:

The largest variety is the Alaska moose; the adult male weighs from 1,000 to 1,800 lb (450-820 kg) and stands as much as 7 1/2 ft (2.3 m) high at the shoulder.

Also, elk is apparently used for another animal in North America.

Thanks for the correction.

Lenke til kommentar
Haha.. That's a good one. I've never understood the difference between an elk and a moose though. Anyone care to explain?

7338848[/snapback]

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/moose

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/elk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alces_alces

Same thing, different words. Moose is the American word, elk the European.

7338942[/snapback]

Sorry to say this, but you’re wrong. Elk and moose are two different animals, but they are both in the dear family. A moose’s antler is more spread out and wide, while the elk’s antler is more like a stick.

The moose is also much larger then an elk.

Lenke til kommentar

I've realized that, as geir_er_1337 beat you to it. My statement was based on the first sentence in Wikipedias article, and also Merriam-Webster's article on «elk».

But the animal called elk in North America is not the same elk as the one in Europe. The European elk (as I understand) is more similar to the American moose. The source of this is the articles on Encyclopedia.com I linked to in my previous post.

Lenke til kommentar

I am going out to workout in like 5 minutes. I am sick. I am going to change my lifestyle and starting from yesterday I am running every morning and working out in the afternoons. I'm also starting yoga, because I can't relax, and then I don't build mussles.

:shrug:

Endret av mushi
Lenke til kommentar
I'm not even going to start reading 38 pages to catch up, but seems like what you're discussing now is the difference between brances of English. American English is quite a bit f\different than Queens English (UK), both in the way of sentence building and the words themself. Personally I don't care much for the English accent, and hence I don't care much for the Queens English. Anyways, one of the differences is that in the US it's called color while it's colour in the UK. Conusing at times, especially because some Norwegian school teachers only accept the Queens English, and that makes everything that much harder seeing that kids nowadays watch Amercan TV and are influenced by American products almost 24/7.

7339177[/snapback]

Or do like me, learn them all. I can do a switch-over between proper middle class english, to lower class, to american, to scottish, to irish, to australian and so on.

Even the indian accent. :p

Lenke til kommentar
Subject of discussion for the night: stupid girls that ruin the English classes at school with their pure stupidity.

"Teacher, what does "whom" mean?"

I wouldn't be so bad if it was back in junior high school, but I'm talking about the five hour English course (is that the right word to use?) in the secound year of college.

7338770[/snapback]

We had the same "problem" when I was in the five hour English course. But we just made fun of them, so it was actually quite cool. The worst part was, however when some replied in Norwegian, which for some reason was totally accepted at our school.. I mean come on! It's a bloody english class :ermm:

7341166[/snapback]

It's totally acceptable to speak Norwegian at an English course. This is because, English being a foreign language to most Norwegians, and everybody doesn't speak it too well, some may be unsurtain of how to articulate them. And they're afraid that they will be laughed of by YOU if they speak English. :)

I'm not even going to start reading 38 pages to catch up, but seems like what you're discussing now is the difference between brances of English. American English is quite a bit f\different than Queens English (UK), both in the way of sentence building and the words themself. Personally I don't care much for the English accent, and hence I don't care much for the Queens English. Anyways, one of the differences is that in the US it's called color while it's colour in the UK. Conusing at times, especially because some Norwegian school teachers only accept the Queens English, and that makes everything that much harder seeing that kids nowadays watch Amercan TV and are influenced by American products almost 24/7.

7339177[/snapback]

Or do like me, learn them all. I can do a switch-over between proper middle class english, to lower class, to american, to scottish, to irish, to australian and so on.

7341398[/snapback]

British, Southern (Texan), a bit cockny, some Irish, some Scottish and to some extent Pakistani and Indian accents.

Lenke til kommentar

7341398[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure the english, americans, scottish, irish, australians and indians can tell that the respective accents are not your own. :)

Lenke til kommentar

7341398[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure the english, americans, scottish, irish, australians and indians can tell that the respective accents are not your own. :)

7342040[/snapback]

I bet they do. I'd be surprised if they didn't. One can be good at impersonating accents, but never as good as those who speak it. :)

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...