Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

No, SO is spamspamspam. This is actually meant to be a discussion of various topics to improve your english skills or just for the fun of it.

It`s no point to post just to post without...you know, some meaning behind it. Answer another topic, or try and start a debate, discussion or what not. It`s General discussion in English, not Last Word 1.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Subject of discussion for the night: stupid girls that ruin the English classes at school with their pure stupidity.

"Teacher, what does "whom" mean?"

I wouldn't be so bad if it was back in junior high school, but I'm talking about the five hour English course (is that the right word to use?) in the secound year of college.

Lenke til kommentar
Subject of discussion for the night: stupid girls that ruin the English classes at school with their pure stupidity.

"Teacher, what does "whom" mean?"

I wouldn't be so bad if it was back in junior high school, but I'm talking about the five hour English course (is that the right word to use?) in the secound year of college.

7338770[/snapback]

It's a shame.

Lenke til kommentar
Whom is a bit peculiar for many, so that ain't so bad.

7338838[/snapback]

Well, it's not just the fact that they have a worse vocabulary than the parrot in Pirates of the Caribbean, they are also unable to figure out the meaning of words they don't understand beforehand even if the it's made quite clear by the other parts of the sentence. They are utterly retarded.

PS: If any of you are reading this: Ahahaha, you don't understand any of it!

Lenke til kommentar
Haha.. That's a good one. I've never understood the difference between an elk and a moose though. Anyone care to explain?

7338848[/snapback]

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/moose

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/elk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alces_alces

Same thing, different words. Moose is the American word, elk the European.

Endret av incanus
Lenke til kommentar
Whom is a bit peculiar for many, so that ain't so bad.

7338838[/snapback]

Well, it's not just the fact that they have a worse vocabulary than the parrot in Pirates of the Caribbean, they are also unable to figure out the meaning of words they don't understand beforehand even if the it's made quite clear by the other parts of the sentence. They are utterly retarded.

PS: If any of you are reading this: Ahahaha, you don't understand any of it!

7338910[/snapback]

I have had the experience of learning English with girls of that quality.

It was in my mind more interesting as a example of short intellect, rather than being irritating. English is a foreign language, and many take it as a course in the second and third year, because there is no other courses to take, to fill up the number of hours required.

But I do get your point, if you don't understand a language too well, a third year course in English is too extensive for you.

As to moose vs. elk, this is a perfect example of America vs. Europe. Europe (elk) will allways be better and more sophisticated than America (moose).

Endret av Simon Aldra
Lenke til kommentar
Gjest Slettet+89234341

I'm not even going to start reading 38 pages to catch up, but seems like what you're discussing now is the difference between brances of English. American English is quite a bit f\different than Queens English (UK), both in the way of sentence building and the words themself. Personally I don't care much for the English accent, and hence I don't care much for the Queens English. Anyways, one of the differences is that in the US it's called color while it's colour in the UK. Conusing at times, especially because some Norwegian school teachers only accept the Queens English, and that makes everything that much harder seeing that kids nowadays watch Amercan TV and are influenced by American products almost 24/7.

Endret av Slettet+89234341
Lenke til kommentar

Good point Ødegård. But, as it is with everything you learn. You have to learn the basics first. And I think we're better off learning the Queen's English (God bless her.) than American, if you will. I know it doesent make much sense.

But in upper secondary school in Norway, there's like several chapters about the American society, culture, way of life etc. to make up for that I guess.

I know I've learned English and not American. When I speak English, it's with an English accent (or however ye' spell it.) and when I write it 'for real' there's very little American words.

Edit: I've had some beers, please excuse my ignorance.

Endret av Sinnerboy
Lenke til kommentar
But in upper secondary school in Norway, there's like several chapters about the American society, culture, way of life etc. to make up for that I guess.

7339265[/snapback]

It's my third year now, and I must say that the curricula is bunch of nonsense. Every year we've had about American society and especially the civil rights movements. We are loosing so much time on what we to a great extent know already, not to mention the American political system(altough important, overprioritized.)

If there is something I want to see more of it's more active use if english within the class. We barely communicate in english or get the chance to evolve as students, the way we are suppose to.

Lenke til kommentar

That's indeed true. There's just too much of the shit! I mean, in an English course or whatever. There should be more ENGLISH instead of history. When I was in upper secondary school, there was like everything from the British Empire to McDonalds.

It's bullshit.

There should be more about relations person, to person. If you get it.

Lenke til kommentar

I definately agree with the above posters - we should be able to use our English orally and written in class to a much higher degree than what is normal today. The main purpose of the entire subject is to learn how to use the language properly, right? The history-part should be covered by subjects like, hmm, lets see, history.

Lenke til kommentar

But we shouldent totally dismantly the English education in Norwegian schools though. Hey, we more or less talk and write perfect English don't we. Look at France, look at Germany. Just as much west-European-NATO members-good economics as us.

I'll make the statement, that we're probably in the top in English education. (Nowday's anyway.) than any other country in the world. (With the exception of English speaking countries.)

But, stil. Lots of bullshit.

Lenke til kommentar
Edited:

I'll make the statement, that we're probably in the top in English education with the exception of English speaking countries.

7339891[/snapback]

True, but when it comes to English grammar and writing, many Norwegian

students are even better than English students.

This statement is according to an English friend of mine.

The way they're learning English is kind of the way we're learning Norwegian.

As a student i know that English is much more interesting learning than Norwegian

to me and therefore i can see why it is like it is.

Edit: Typo

Endret av danno_O
Lenke til kommentar

Yeeha for our tutors in English.

Who mostly / only speak Norwegian if they ever open their mouth.

Sucky upper secondary school teachers :(

Oh well, finally time for me to sleep.

Been awake since 2 AM and the last hours have been a living hell, for both my mind and my body.

Good night all you English speaking people :) *waves*

Now I'm leaving to dream about Göteborgian female computernerds :love:

Lenke til kommentar

I've been having this long discussion and conversion with a person I know over the net. And yet again, I find myself astonished by the fact that I feel my English is good. At least that is something to be happy about.

You are allowed to have some big thoughts about yourself, that is my philosophy. Just don't put yourself higher than others just to push them down, rather try and help them, if that made any sense?

I like being able to express myself. I thirst for wisdom and knowledge, it seems. Both things I actually need, and things I know just for fun.

I now say good night, sleep tight, and screw homework and a test tomorrow, as today I wanted to relax, and I will not pay any stress to any of this shit this week. :yes:

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...