Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Languegas are interesting, especially northern and english (i mean all old languages from england).

But I feel like the languages need more words....

In english you can't express yourself as good becuase english lacks certain words.

Skjult tekst: (Marker innholdet i feltet for å se teksten):

Ich kan viel gut deutche sprachen! Welches spät is est zu heute?
Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Wait a second, you believe that the english language lacks words? Sorry, but this just shows that you do not grasp the full extent of the English language. Even if you were born and raised as an English-man, you wouldn't know all the words.

I got the highest grade in english. It's hard to know where english ends and where another language begins.

I hate how they include foreign word just like that.

And any person with savant syndrome could learn all the words, like rainman.

Lenke til kommentar

England has had the largest kingdom ever once upon a time. Look how they screwed that up!

Highest grade in English in what grade? And how is this relevant?

For that matter, do you have examples for where the English language does not fill your needs?

I don't know. I don't know.

It never fills my needs. If it did, I could have explained why.

Lenke til kommentar

Highest grade in English in what grade? And how is this relevant?

For that matter, do you have examples for where the English language does not fill your needs?

Fulfill or meet your needs is more common than fill ur needs btw. Every language has words that do not easily translate. They are usually culture specific, something alien to other cultures. Can one truly describe ....Eating skyline chili while watching the Reds win the pennant?

Lenke til kommentar

Fulfill or meet your needs is more common than fill ur needs btw. Every language has words that do not easily translate. They are usually culture specific, something alien to other cultures. Can one truly describe ....Eating skyline chili while watching the Reds win the pennant?

Ah yes, those were the words I was thinking of. I've never lived outside of Norway, and the only English I've been subject to comes from books, music and computer games. I would love spending some months in England or Scotland, learning how to properly articulate and communicate with my fellow men and women.

You can use both "fill your needs" and "fullfill your needs". Trust me, I got the highest grade in english.:hmm:

I also got the highest grade in English, but it doesn't mean shit if you do not realize that you're nowhere near the skills of one with the English tongue as his primary language.

Unless you graduated from an English school in an English-speaking country, at the top of your class. Then I would be impressed.

Lenke til kommentar

The difficult thing to learn is local idiosyncrasies which are often incorrect English but what gives you away as being foreign. Only proper English is just plain weird and unless you want to be a English teacher not very useful. I find most Norwegians obsessed with proper English. I say relax and go with the flow, you will learn more.

Lenke til kommentar

The difficult thing to learn is local idiosyncrasies which are often incorrect English but what gives you away as being foreign. Only proper English is just plain weird and unless you want to be a English teacher not very useful. I find most Norwegians obsessed with proper English. I say relax and go with the flow, you will learn more.

I'm obsessed with doing everything perfectly. That's part of me, and I can't help it. But my English level of skill is sufficient for mere conversations, and improving on it isn't that important. Which is why I'm studying japanese. Slowly. :p

Lenke til kommentar

This "go with the flow" mentality is what has brought America to it's knees, this nation of lazy imbecills.

You mean the nation that has an unparalelled university system, has won 50% of the worlds nobel prizes and has a workforce that works longer and harder than any other western nation. Has there been a day in your life you have not used american technology? This nation of imbeciles has outproduced most of the western world for many, many years and now that its status as the only superpower has diminished, you are ready to say it has been brought to its knees. Perhaps it's relative power will be less, but you will be dealing with and consuming its goods and culture for a long time to come. Right now the world is a lot more worried about collapse of the EU than the USA. The USA needs to make much smaller corrections to keep chugging along than the unsustainable paths of european nations with more debt, lower productivity and extravagant social programs.

Lenke til kommentar

What is reckless about owning 3 cars?

Redundancy.

The only definitions of recklessness that I know of imply behavior that is potentially dangerous. What danger owning 3 cars is or what you are trying to say is a mystery to me.

Here is one dictionary equating 'reckless' with 'irresponsible'

Yes irresponsible and reckless are synonyms implying behavior that can potentially lead to some danger or negative consequence.

So what negative consequence or danger that all the neighbors talk about can come from a quite wealthy man who buys 3 cars?

I can tell you also that at the same time that neighbors thought having 3 cars was negative he was admired for his accomplishments as a wealthy businessman. It appeared to be the sin of overt affluence not whether he was influential and wealthy.

Lenke til kommentar

This "go with the flow" mentality is what has brought America to it's knees, this nation of lazy imbecills.

You mean the nation that has an unparalelled university system, has won 50% of the worlds nobel prizes and has a workforce that works longer and harder than any other western nation. Has there been a day in your life you have not used american technology? This nation of imbeciles has outproduced most of the western world for many, many years and now that its status as the only superpower has diminished, you are ready to say it has been brought to its knees. Perhaps it's relative power will be less, but you will be dealing with and consuming its goods and culture for a long time to come. Right now the world is a lot more worried about collapse of the EU than the USA. The USA needs to make much smaller corrections to keep chugging along than the unsustainable paths of european nations with more debt, lower productivity and extravagant social programs.

I mean the piece of shit nation with negroes in every street corner, gang fights, corruption, surveillance and greed.

Smaller correction? The USA is beyond repair. The sad truth is that you Americans have gotten used to the decay and degeneration and still think you live in a great and free country.

So go get patted down by NSA agents and let them scan your crotch.

Let the corrupt leaders pour money into Israel.

Let the gangs kill innocent people.

I don't care.

The sooner the collapse of this shit hole comes the better.

Lenke til kommentar

I believe you're vastly uneducated about the situation in the States. Where are you getting your information from? You might want to reevaluate which kind of political agenda those have. Always try to keep your newsfeed from a broad range of political views. If you can get coverage of something from both leftists and rightists, you'll have a more informed basis upon which you can build your arguments.

*edit*

If the United States DID collapse, the Western World would suffer greatly in the aftermath.

Endret av Slimda
Lenke til kommentar

I believe you're vastly uneducated about the situation in the States. Where are you getting your information from? You might want to reevaluate which kind of political agenda those have. Always try to keep your newsfeed from a broad range of political views. If you can get coverage of something from both leftists and rightists, you'll have a more informed basis upon which you can build your arguments.

*edit*

If the United States DID collapse, the Western World would suffer greatly in the aftermath.

I get all my information from youtube, Above Top Secret and a bunch of other sources, including well known media outlets such as New York Times, although they mostly lie.

Lenke til kommentar

What is reckless about owning 3 cars?

Redundancy.

The only definitions of recklessness that I know of imply behavior that is potentially dangerous. What danger owning 3 cars is or what you are trying to say is a mystery to me.

Here is one dictionary equating 'reckless' with 'irresponsible'

Yes irresponsible and reckless are synonyms implying behavior that can potentially lead to some danger or negative consequence.

So what negative consequence or danger that all the neighbors talk about can come from a quite wealthy man who buys 3 cars?

In the bigger picture, it is depletion of resources. If some of the resources used for making cars are rare, more cars produced than what is "necessary" would drive up the prices for these resources (to such a degree that it could actually be 'felt' somewhere). This in turn could in theory lead to greater expenses in, say, anything from healthcare to production of food.

Irresponsible also in the sense that there could simply be better ways to spend the money.

I can tell you also that at the same time that neighbors thought having 3 cars was negative he was admired for his accomplishments as a wealthy businessman. It appeared to be the sin of overt affluence not whether he was influential and wealthy.

I strongly doubt that, and there is nothing in what you write that could back up this claim.

Youtube has lots of conspiracy videos, most of which are complete madmen. Above Top Secret is a conspiracy theory website too, so I wouldn't trust it too much.

But they have all these strong and clear evidences!!11 Myself, I have discovered that the conspiracy theories surrounding the moon landings are actually a plot by the CIA to conceal the fact that humans ever were on the moon. Duh.

Endret av Anarkhos
Lenke til kommentar

In the bigger picture, it is depletion of resources. If some of the resources used for making cars are rare, more cars produced than what is "necessary" would drive up the prices for these resources (to such a degree that it could actually be 'felt' somewhere). This in turn could in theory lead to greater expenses in, say, anything from healthcare to production of food.

This answer is consistent with the idea of social conformity, instead of his actions having direct personal consequence, norwegians are encouraged to think how their actions impact society as a whole in ways that are uncommon in more individualistic societies.

Irresponsible also in the sense that there could simply be better ways to spend the money.

The sin of self indulgence? Should spend his money on something that would benefit society?

I strongly doubt that, and there is nothing in what you write that could back up this claim.

I disagree, and wealth flaunting was the most common verbage used to describe the phenomenon.

But they have all these strong and clear evidences!!11 Myself, I have discovered that the conspiracy theories surrounding the moon landings are actually a plot by the CIA to conceal the fact that humans ever were on the moon. Duh.

I worry that some these programs will lead to isolation because many of us have a tendency to search for media that only reinforces our own biases and beliefs and the internet allows us to live all in our own universe without significantly challenging those beliefs. The kookier become kookier as conspiracy theorists can unite and spread propaganda like never before without challenge from more sane people.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...