Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

–verb (used without object)

1. to become mixed, blended, or united.

2. to associate or mix in company: She refuses to mingle with bigots.

3. to associate or take part with others; participate.

–verb (used with object)

4. to mix or combine; put together in a mixture; blend.

5. to unite, join, or conjoin.

6. to associate in company: a hostess who mingles diplomats with executives.

7. to form by mixing; compound; concoct.

–noun

8. mingles, two or more single, unrelated adults who live together.

Dictionary.com

*edit*

—Synonyms

4. commingle, intermingle, intermix. See mix.

Endret av Slimda
Lenke til kommentar

I might have meant to write "mix" instead. I'm not that strong in grammar rules, I usually just write and hope for the best :)

I do the same when not writing in my mother tongue (amerikansk). The only way to grow is to risk making mistakes. The hardest part is not applying the syntax and vaocabulary of your mother tongue, using words that are correct but uncommon, unless you are a foreign speaker, a clear sign that you are "not from these here parts!".

Y'all are bombarded by english on a hourly basis and it is compulsory in your education, in addition to american cultural imperialism that is inescapable. Myself, I have the chance to speak or hear norwegian on a regular basis once every ten years. With no education other than living there a short while, internet media is my only contact. Quite rusty, kan man si.

In any event I am visiting det gamle landet in august and will give it one more try. See a few friends and show my youngest daughter the sights, since she has never visited the beloved kingdom. She knows a few phrases in norwegian and wants to try them out.

BTW-anything Harry POtter like to do in Oslo these days? Also, any small hotels y'all can recommend?

Any help appreciated.

MVH

Lenke til kommentar
  • 1 måned senere...

Haha, I'll not contest your insinuation. I wasn't really having possible holiday destinations in mind, though.

That said, most Norwegians do not live in the fjords (steep slopes), so visiting those in New Zealand may well be exotic enough, if a bit far to travel.

Lenke til kommentar

Haha, I'll not contest your insinuation. I wasn't really having possible holiday destinations in mind, though.

That said, most Norwegians do not live in the fjords (steep slopes), so visiting those in New Zealand may well be exotic enough, if a bit far to travel.

My experience in Norway was that steep slopes were everywhere but not so many of them plunged into deep water like those you find along the Alaska coastline or near Flåm.

That said, New Zealand has many other exotic natural wonders that few nations have like the only glacier in the world that empties into a tropical rain forest. The fishing there is unreal, due to lack of predators that allow their fish to grow to enormous sizes. New Zealand is a favorite vacation (holiday) destination of mine. Norway has an equivalent bounty of natural beauty, but it is much less diverse, even though it is FNs verdens best land å bo. Were I to live pernamently in Norway, that would be my biggest complaint, lack of diversity on many different levels. I am still in love, however with many norwegians and am visiting there in august. Jeg gleder meg!

Lenke til kommentar

Actually, I think people need to travel out of Norway and to other places. How can we actually tell of our own beauty if we haven't seen anything to compare it to?

In 2010's November edition of National Geographic, the Lofoten islands came third as the most beautiful islands. As I'm from Lofoten and live here, it's very hard for me to see this. I take it for granted. But after a week in Trondheim - which isn't far away so to speak - I came over the Vestfjord on a ferry to Svolvær. When I came past Skrova, and saw the majestic walls of mountain, the ocean glistening in the late sun, painting it orange and yellow and all colours imaginable, it struck me what a magical place I'm living in, and how fortunate that I should live here. The salty air filling the warm summer breeze, the sound of some late night seagulls chanting at the rocks protruding from the ocean.

To travel away and see the world might open your eyes to the beauty we have here in Norway. It's quite a diverse country with fjords, mountains, plains and rough weather and nature.

In July I've booked flight for around 10 days in the UK, landing in Edinburgh and with only a need to be at Gatwick, London, around 10 days later. I'm very much looking forward to it, as the Scottish nature has always filled me with wonders and love. I've always wanted to travel there but, haven't had enough money for it. Looking forward both to the travel there, and to the return home.

Lenke til kommentar

My experience in Norway was that steep slopes were everywhere but not so many of them plunged into deep water like those you find along the Alaska coastline or near Flåm.

That said, New Zealand has many other exotic natural wonders that few nations have like the only glacier in the world that empties into a tropical rain forest. The fishing there is unreal, due to lack of predators that allow their fish to grow to enormous sizes. New Zealand is a favorite vacation (holiday) destination of mine. Norway has an equivalent bounty of natural beauty, but it is much less diverse, even though it is FNs verdens best land å bo. Were I to live pernamently in Norway, that would be my biggest complaint, lack of diversity on many different levels. I am still in love, however with many norwegians and am visiting there in august. Jeg gleder meg!

Lack of diversity? Hm...

galdhc3b8piggenfromfann.jpg

reinelofoten166148a.jpg

elvebreddenmotmjc3b8nda.jpg

790x.jpg

per20eidefjord20norway.jpg

The water freezes in the winter, melts in the spring - one gets to experience both states. In the north, you can experience the midnight sun and the polar night. And the northern lights. The list continues.

Sorry, but I do not see which variation that is lacking. ;) If you compare Norway to countries of similar sizes, I think it is doing well.

Lenke til kommentar

Lack of diversity? Hm...

The water freezes in the winter, melts in the spring - one gets to experience both states. In the north, you can experience the midnight sun and the polar night. And the northern lights. The list continues.

Sorry, but I do not see which variation that is lacking. ;) If you compare Norway to countries of similar sizes, I think it is doing well.

Sorry, New Zealand gives you the choice to live in a tropical climate or arctic climate at the same time, within a few miles of each other. The other geologic conditions due to volcanic history make it overall much more dynamic and diverse in terms of its multiple biosystems, something that can't be matched in Norway. THis is not to say that Norway isn't phenomenally beautiful, just not as rich or varied.

THe other issues are human based socioeconomic homogeneity, little ethnic diversity and the infernal jante law that discourages individualism. Norway is too collectivist for my tastes, I don't want to feel threatened by social convention because I am wealthy, or I am religious or am just plain different.

Lenke til kommentar

Sorry, New Zealand gives you the choice to live in a tropical climate or arctic climate at the same time, within a few miles of each other. The other geologic conditions due to volcanic history make it overall much more dynamic and diverse in terms of its multiple biosystems, something that can't be matched in Norway. THis is not to say that Norway isn't phenomenally beautiful, just not as rich or varied.

I countered your notion that Norway 'lacked diversity' - not particularly interested in comparing Norway to NZ, as I know little about the latter.

The distance between to different types of nature is not a measure of diversity, it is a measure of a 'gradient' of sorts.

Norway is too collectivist for my tastes, I don't want to feel threatened by social convention because I am wealthy, or I am religious or am just plain different.

Now you are playing with mythical cards. No society is particularly tolerant if you look closely. No matter where you live, you will 'feel threatened by social convention'.

Lenke til kommentar

The distance between to different types of nature is not a measure of diversity, it is a measure of a 'gradient' of sorts.

I disagree, disparate climates and varied geology always produce greater diversity in terms of animal and plant life. An arctic climate has diversity, of course but having a tropical environment doubles the diversity. New Zealand has the entire range from arctic to tropical environments and everything in between, not just one or the other. Each has its own unique biological fauna and animal systems.

Now you are playing with mythical cards. No society is particularly tolerant if you look closely. No matter where you live, you will 'feel threatened by social convention'.

All societies have social conventions, but for some the social convention is to be creative and different while others encourage sameness. Some value the rights of the individual more than others. Scandinavian societies are generally accepted as cohesive societies which tend to think more collectively, which is why it has a very generous welfare system that punishes the wealthy so that the poor do not suffer. One only need read the jante law to see how it applies to scandinavian culture. Nobel prize economist Milton Friedman said it this way-

Though it is not as true now as it used to be with the influx of immigration, the Scandinavian countries have a very small, homogeneous population. That enables them to get away with a good deal they couldn’t otherwise get away with.

What works for Sweden wouldn’t work for France or Germany or Italy. In a small state, you can reach outside for many of your activities. In a homogeneous culture, they are willing to pay higher taxes in order to achieve commonly held goals. But “common goals” are much harder to come by in larger, more heterogeneous populations.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...