Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

I've read all of the Harry Potter books as well as several of the Narnia books, but I mostly read crime, which is also why I've been spending the last couple of weeks reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium-series. I wasn't expecting all that much, but I'm very impressed by Larsson -- he knows how to write a captivating crime! Jo Nesbø is another favorite, but since I've read all of his books about Harry Hole, I had to move on...hopefully he'll publish another book about Hole sometime in the not too distant future.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Today, a guy asked me on the bus station; "What's the clock?"

:wallbash::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Reminds me of when I lived in Norway and was learning norwegian. Initially I knew no norwegian at all. People would often ask me what time it was in norwegian and though I understood the question I did not quite know how to answer them in norwegian. Being reluctant to explain my predicament in english I would just say "Jeg vet ikke". Sometimes this strategy didn't work very well when my wristwatch was quite visible.

I will say though, that norwegians were quite sympathetic to my halting, stumbling massacre of the norwegian language. In fact, I think they were enthused that an american would attempt it at all. Americans are not so sympathetic and are more inclined to ostracize than to feel complimentary. At the same time I find many norwegians obsessed with their language and correct and incorrect use. It was a curious paradox, obsessed with each other's pronunciation and grammar but enthused when I butchered the same language.

Questions americans find a little weird but interesting:

Why do norwegians inhale deeply and quickly like they are out of breath when listening to others talk? I realize they are saying "Ja", but why in that way?

Do Swedes and Danes do the same and where did it come from?

How on earth can cursing the devil be obscene language? (fy faen)

Lenke til kommentar
Gjest medlem-1432

Questions americans find a little weird but interesting:

Why do norwegians inhale deeply and quickly like they are out of breath when listening to others talk? I realize they are saying "Ja", but why in that way?

What? :p Not everyone inhale deeply and quickly while they're listening to others speak. No, that's not right. Haha lol.

I dint quite know what obscene language means, but fy faen is more like... Holy shit in american or something.

Lenke til kommentar

I dint quite know what obscene language means, but fy faen is more like... Holy shit in american or something.

Obscene - offensive to morality or decency; indecent; depraved: obscene language.

"Fy faen" is the norwegian sentence saying "Bad devil, don't do that!" (faen is another name for the devil). There's no english equivalent to it.

Lenke til kommentar

It's just the way we speak I guess. I haven't thought about it myself, but it seems natural, and that's why I do it (inhaling whilst speaking, like "jah").

"Faen!" is what you would say instead of "fuck!". "Faen ta deg!" literally means "may the devil take you!". Either way, I don't find "fuck" more obscene than "faen" to be honest, but it is what it is.

Endret av yvonne2
Lenke til kommentar

Obscene - offensive to morality or decency; indecent; depraved: obscene language.

"Fy faen" is the norwegian sentence saying "Bad devil, don't do that!" (faen is another name for the devil). There's no english equivalent to it.

In the way faen is used, it's much like saying fuck. Fy faen would, in my opinion, be equivalent to holy fuck. Atleast in the way it's used.
Lenke til kommentar

Yes, in how we use it, but there is no translation in the English language that fits the meaning of "fy faen".

Well, this is all about pragmatics really, a subject I'm taking this spring. It's actually very interesting, mainly because it studies how context contributes to meaning, how the transmission of meaning depends not only on the linguistic knowledge (like grammar) of the speaker and listener, but also on the context of the utterance, knowledge about the status of those involved, the inferred intent of the speaker, and so on (source: Wikipedia).

Lenke til kommentar

Basically, the difference between calling your best friend "a bastard" while patting him on the back as opposed to calling a random guy on the street "a bastard" while you're dodging flying fists?

Ginger speaking with a scottish accent. Can't see how that could be funny. Not at all.

It ain't funny. Not at all. I swear.

It's not like you have a soul anyway. What harm can it do? :tease:

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...