Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Hiya!

Came back from London last week, and I just loved it there. I've been there several times before and it was just as wonderful as the first time.

Anyway, I'm back for my studies in English. This semester I'll be taking courses in phonetics, British studies and drama. I think it will be fun! ;)

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
Gjest Slettet+13412342564

Hiya!

Came back from London last week, and I just loved it there. I've been there several times before and it was just as wonderful as the first time.

Anyway, I'm back for my studies in English. This semester I'll be taking courses in phonetics, British studies and drama. I think it will be fun! ;)

Cool, I'm a fan of London as well (only been there once, but still :p)

Lenke til kommentar
Gjest medlem-1432

Hello hello, the activity in this tread is low. So what are people doing? I'm pretty tired after some long days and to little sleep. One day to go, and I can sleep out on sataurday. :)

Lenke til kommentar

I must say gentlemen, this thread is a splendid idea! This is my first visit, and there shall be many more on my behalf!

To spark a discussion: What are your opinion on the following matters?

The improper use of your/you're and so on?

The catastrophical abuse of the english language called leetspeek used on a general basis across the internets numerous forums and MMORPGS in general?

Do you think our schools should improve the way young kids learn English?

Lenke til kommentar
The improper use of your/you're and such boils down to a very simple thing. Lack of education. When you're stuck reading grammar and why Christoffer Columbus discovered America, your/you're isn't that important. The school system is in shambles, and the rest of the world isn't exactly better off.
The catastrophical abuse of the english language called leetspeek used on a general basis across the internets numerous forums and MMORPGS in general?
Online communication requires a faster method of typing than perfectly typed english. While I wouldn't do so myself, I can certainly understand the appeal of leetspeak and it's faster communication.

Of course, the downside is that new people think that this is how the language is written.

They could bring in a lot more english-based literature and movies, as well as using teachers who've been to England or America itself. And if we moved the education away from the boring imprinting, and over to a more engaging and interesting model, the skills would improve. The use of computer games would also help.
Lenke til kommentar

Many people make wrong use of them. Whether its due to lack of education, or because they simply cant be bothered to put it right, is debatable. I always use them correctly myself, but I'm not bothered when I see people mocking it up on the internet. Its the internet, people dont care, people shorten certain words, its just how it is.

Well to be honest, I rarely see it anymore these days. And normally its just someone (who normally doesnt use it) who is trying to be funny or something.

Pretty much everything slimda said xD

Endret av ScudNor
Lenke til kommentar
Gjest Slettet+13412342564

My English sub wrote this on the blackboard (I'm in third grade (videregående) btw):

"Are there any winners or loosers in this short story?"

Now THAT is a mistake I hate, it's so ridiculously easy...

Lenke til kommentar

laugh.gif

Why don't we have a thread like this in German?

I need to practice my German too :p

Would be great. German is such a great language. What should the name be, then? "Die grosse bierstube"? :D

anyone aware of a similar thread - only in German? I'm so bad in German and would totally like to practice it more in a thread like this. But if this thread struggle to gain momentum, I hardly belive a German alike would ever survive.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...