Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Only reason for me to have subtitles on is because sometimes they speak very quiet in the movies and still with my surround stereo system I have troubles making out what they're saying, so, of old habbit I turn on the subtitles even though I may not read one line at all.

I'm finding more use for English than Norwegian in many cases, there is even times when I have to stop and think what the name is in English and try to translate that to Norwegian. Per example today, I was working in the restaurante and we have monkfish on the menue. I had to stop and think "what the heck was monkfish in Norwegian again" before I could answer the guest what type of fish we had on the menue.

Norweigan is just as good as English to use in every day situations. Try expanding your knowledge of the language and your vocabulary, and you'll see.

Lenke til kommentar

I just hope I will become a much better English teacher then the ones I had at elementary school.

The one I had at middle school and high school was quite good actually, not orally of course, but the written parts ;)

All though, I do want to mention that I left after I had only two hours with a new English teacher at my 3rd year at high school.

I couldn't stand his oral English.

Lenke til kommentar

Sure, Im referring to the written. Thank you, but can you please help me about which one book I should read? I've bought 3 books, the hobbit, LoTR and the children of hurin. Its great to read those, but it doesn't attend to read at bus, train or anything. This needs full focus, to make my own fantasyworld. Too bad when I'm "pretty stressed".

I hope its understandable to read my post.

Endret av Fox
Lenke til kommentar

Personally, I have no problems creating my own fantasyworld when commuting to and from work while reading. It takes me half a second to disconnect from the real world and travel in my fantasy world.

But I would recommend The Discworld Novels. They're fairly short and masterfully written by Terry Pratchett. They're rather humorous too, and contain alot of real world references and jokes about real life.

For example, the Discworld is, in fact, a disc, on the back of four elephants. Those elephants are standing on the back of an intergalactic turtle that is swimming through the universe.

Lenke til kommentar

It takes me roughly 1 hour one way, when commuting. So, I get plenty of time to read. I usually finish a discworld novel in 1,5 days orso, depending on thickness.

Either way. The only way to get better in english, is to use it. Reading books, any kinds of books, is a superb way of seeing how others express themselves using the english language.

Personally, I usually think in english. Kinda odd.

Lenke til kommentar

I thought I would get good use of English in my new job where almost 50% are polaks and other east europeans, but most of them just know basic words, or basic norwegian words with mixed german. They also said english was the working language, but most of the equipment is german with german manuals, also chinese, and there are polish and russian signs everywhere.

Throughout a day I hear more Polish words than Norwegian, and all I hear is kurwa, kurwa, kurwa, kurwa.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...