Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Premier League Pub

Latias

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Jeg mener at alle trenere burde få minst en halv sesong før de får fyken. La de bygge et eget lag. først da ser man hva de er lagd av (bare se på Rafa og hvordan det gikk med "hans" LFC).

Eventuelt en viss herremann ved navn Alexander Chapman.

fergietarabanner.jpg

As Sir Alex Ferguson emerged from the guard of honour and Old Trafford rose to acclaim him, it all felt very different to that December day in 1989 when he reached the lowest point of his Manchester United reign and a banner was thrust to the skies imploring him to resign. "3 YEARS OF EXCUSES AND IT'S STILL CRAP … TA RA FERGIE," it said. It cut to the bone, and it can feel faintly ludicrous now that it was met by loud, spontaneous and brutal cheers.

The man with the spare bedsheet and pot of paint could allow himself a rueful smile at Old Trafford as he joined in the applause for Ferguson's 25th anniversary, still in the same seat as that momentous day when United lost 2-1 at home to Crystal Palace and he decided to take matters into his own hands.

"I'm just glad he stuck around because what he has delivered since then is more than we could ever have dreamed of," Pete Molyneux says. "He's taken us from that nadir to a point where I now think he should be canonised."

Molyneux, now 57, provided a piece of United notoriety that day and, 22 years on, he is happy to admit that he underestimated Ferguson's ability to re-establish the club as the driving force of English football.

"I've had the mickey taken out of me for years," he admits. "I'll go to matches and my United-supporting mates will introduce me as "Pete, the guy who held up that banner". People think it must have been an impetuous moment from a fickle fan but I'd actually been supporting the club, home and away, for 20-odd years at that point.

"It was a buildup of all the frustrations because his first three years were dark times. Liverpool were running away with everything and we didn't seem to be getting any closer. We were coming off the back of the failures of Dave Sexton and Ron Atkinson to win the league and I just felt the fans had to do something because the club was accepting second‑best."

This was the season United lost 5-1 against Manchester City. There were mutinous chants of "Bryan Robson's red and white army" and the Red News fanzine printed a "crisis" edition calling for his removal. "Resign now," one columnist implored. "Do the decent thing for Manchester United Football Club."

Molyneux's original plan was to unfurl the banner when Ferguson marked his third anniversary. "We were playing Forest but there was a minute's silence for Remembrance Sunday so it didn't feel right and I kept it in a plastic bag by my feet. The next game was Chelsea and I didn't want to do it against one of our serious rivals. But Palace came after that and it was a dreadful performance and a dreadful day. We took the lead but then Mark Bright scored twice and I thought: 'Right, this is the right moment.'

"I was shaking. I loved the club and I was apprehensive people would turn on me but the reaction was amazing. It was like a domino effect around the ground as people realised what the banner said, culminating in this crescendo of cheers and applause."

The wording for the banner was inspired by Molyneux's Salford roots. "On Coronation Street Bet Lynch would always say to Mike Baldwin: 'Ta ra cock.' It felt like we'd had three years of excuses and we were still crap. So it was 'Ta ra Fergie.'"

Molyneux has since met Ferguson "but never introduced myself as the man who held up the banner". Now he says he feels delighted to have been proven wrong. "I'd never have thought we could ever have a manager who would come close to Sir Matt Busby, and yet we now have one who has probably surpassed him."

Endret av Latias
  • Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar

Fantastisk spiller. Hadde gjerne tatt ham.

Du har bare sett 8-2 der han scoret to mål og hadde tre assists? Foruten det har han vært helt jævlig. Fatter ikke hvordan en så elendig spiller kan tjene £130k i uka. Kvalm type i tillegg. Filming, overspillinger. Arsenal må gjerne få han gratis.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...