Gå til innhold

Kan kjøttspising forsvares etisk?

Anbefalte innlegg

Kjøtt er en del av menneskers grunnlag for overlevelse.

1. Kjøtt er en lagringsmetode

Mat er energi. Og ved at mennesker kan lagre energi på forskjellige måter gjør at man sprer risikoen for å sulte ved en spesiell tid på året. De dyr mennesker har gjort til husdyr lever på en diett (opprinnelig) som mennesker ikke er i stand til. Dermed nyttegjør man seg mer av planterike for menneske sitt beste.

2. Bruke de ressurser man har

Alternativ matkilde som bruker som for plantematriale som ikke er menneskeføde. Dermed øker man sjansen for å overleve.

3. Planter Vs Kjøtt

Planter og kjøtt gir forskjellige næringsstoffer. For å erstatte kjøtt må man variere i mye større grad med planter for å oppnå den samme mengde næringsstoffer. Dvs man må dyrke et enormt større antall plantesorter i landet, eller importere en vesentlig større andel av maten til landet. Ikke smart tatt i betraktning matforsyningssikkerhet. Det er også geografiske forskjeller på hvor man kan dyrke planter, og hvor man kan f.eks ha dyr.

Argumentet om at man ikke skal drepe levende vesner for eget konsum er en ønsketekning tilbake til steinalderen. Mennesker vil uansett hva vi gjør påvirke naturen, og direkte og indirekte forårsake død. I tillegg må man også mene at dyr har en "menneskelig" egenskap.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

En intresang artikkel om vegis.

Why We Need Meat

by Mark Sisson

Vegetarian and vegan lifestyles are more common than ever, especially in my neck of the woods (you guessed it, Southern California). I see the menus, hear the pitches, and even read the occasional bogus study that comes out in support of these diets (don't get me started on the China Study). I once did four-month vegetarian experience in my 30s. I've even spent a week as a vegan, with an uncomfortable outcome in an otherwise fun vacation with extended family. Having studied the phenomenon (as well as the science) up close and personal, let me tell you I'm not convinced.

It's not the most politically correct time to be a meat eater, I understand. And I empathize with those who forgo or reduce meat consumption for environmental and ethical concerns. My wife and son are among them. Nonetheless, the fact remains (as science and human history show), we need meat for optimum health.

First off, let's get this on the table: no human civilization has ever subsisted, let alone thrived, without animal flesh of some kind. In fact, the study of past and current tribal populations shows that traditional diets contain about twice the protein intake of the typical Western diet today. On average, about a third of hunter-gatherer diets were protein-based. And protein for these folks meant mostly meat.

Research on remaining tribal cultures confirms the healthfulness of the traditional hunter-gatherer style diet. High protein, fruit- and vegetable-rich diets (with virtually no other carbs and few unhealthy fats) seem to protect against the so called "diseases of wealth" we've burdened ourselves with in the developed world (heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, arthritis, etc.).

In my little adventure on "Vegan Island" I got to hear the famous Dr. John McDougall's doctrine on the health advantages of veganism. But when I looked around me, the picture didn't fit the caption. Overweight people drawn to a philosophy that was clearly doing them no favors. As for the "thin" members of the fully fledged vegan group? I believe the label "skinny fat" would be an apt description.

I don't say this to be snide. I say it because the current nutritional "culture", I believe, steers us the wrong way. To gain and maintain muscle mass, adequate protein consumption is essential for everyone (yup, men and women). For us seasoned folks out there, it's especially critical for overall health as well as muscle mass maintenance, which is key to successful aging, of course. Fats are essential as well, you simply can't live without them. As for all those carbs we athletes gorge ourselves on? Let me clear something up. Carbs provide glucose that serves as short-term fuel for muscles, but it doesn't do a thing to build or maintain them. In fact, there is no actual requirement for carbs in the human diet.

As an active person, I eat (here's an example of my daily diet break down) about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass each day. For me, that's about 150 grams of protein a day. (The powers that be would suggest I should be eating half that or less.) I'm 55 and have never been healthier or more fit in my life.

And let me just put the big anti-protein critics to rest. One of the most common critiques links higher protein diets to impaired kidney function. Recent research suggests, however, that people without prior or developing kidney or liver impairment do not experience any kidney or liver issues with a higher protein intake (1.3 g/kg/day). People most at risk for this kind of kidney stress include those who have a personal or family history of kidney or liver problems or those who have high blood pressure or diabetes. And what about the osteoporosis link? This is an outdated claim that just doesn't hold water. Most new research, including USDA studies, suggests bone density improves with added protein intake in most deficient or borderline people when they also have adequate Vitamin D. Stress, salt intake, and lack of weight-bearing exercise has more impact on bone loss.

But what does adequate protein intake look like in terms of a day's menu? How do I personally fit 150 grams of protein in a day? I can tell you one thing: I'd be more than hard-pressed to do it without meat. In fact, as a vegan I think it would be pretty much impossible. Check out a few protein estimates (compliments of The Harvard School of Public Health and Northwestern University), and I think you'll get the picture.

Meats

Beef (6 oz.) - 54 grams

Turkey, breast (6 oz.) - 51.4 grams

Pork Chop (6 oz.) 49 grams

Turkey, dark meat (6 oz.) - 48.6 grams

Hamburger (6 oz.) - 48.6 grams

Chicken, dark meat (6 oz.) - 47.2 grams

Tuna (6 oz.) - 40.1 grams

Chicken, breast (6 oz.) - 37.8 grams

Salmon (6 oz.) - 33.6 grams

Dairy/Eggs

Cottage cheese (1 cup) - 28.1 grams

Yogurt, low fat (1 cup) - 10.7 grams

Skim milk (1 cup) - 8.3 grams

Whole milk (1 cup) - 8 grams

American cheese (1 oz.) - 7 grams

Soymilk (6 oz.) - 6.7 grams

Egg (1 large) - 6.3 grams

Beans and Legumes, Nuts

Tofu (6 oz.) - 13.8 grams

Peanut Butter (2 Tbsp.) - 8.1 grams

Almond Butter (2 Tbsp.) - 7 grams

Lentils (1/2 cup) - 9 grams

Split Peas (1/2 cup) - 8.1 grams

Kidney Beans (1/2 cup) - 7.6 grams

Sesame Seeds (1 oz.) - 7.5 grams

Black Beans (1/2 cup) - 7.5 grams

Fruits and Vegetables

Orange (large) - 1.7 grams

Banana (medium) - 1.2 grams

Green Beans (1/2 cup) - 1 gram

Carrots (1/2 cup) - .8 gram

Apple (large) - 0 grams

Let's put it this way. As a vegetarian, I'd have to consume a boat load of dairy, which isn't the healthiest choice and often presents some rather uncomfortable consequences. As a vegan, I'd be gorging on beans (you fill in the blank on that one) trying in vain to get enough protein, all the while cramming in more starchy carbs. Tofu? There are many reasons to avoid it, and I certainly wouldn't ever make it a staple food. Nut butter? I love almond butter as much as the next guy or gal, but I'd be shoveling away more than a jar of it a day if I was depending on it for a central protein source. How does that feel in your stomach?

The fact is, we need meat for an efficient, bioavailable source of essential protein. But let me say that I do still believe in feeding your body the "cleanest" protein you can. Factory-farmed meats and fish can carry the heaviest "toxic" burden of our modern food supply. These toxins can be plentiful enough over time to put a strain on anyone's body, including liver and kidneys. Choose organic, grass-fed meat and poultry whenever possible, and go for wild instead of farmed fish. Short of that, trim the excess fat off those supermarket family-pack steaks.

After my own week-long foray into vegan living, I found myself a few pounds short of muscle (which I was able to regain) and more convinced than ever that meat was essential for healthy living. An essential part of human evolutionary design, meat holds a central place in my Primal Blueprint philosophy. That first night back from vacation, it was also the main fare for dinner. A Porterhouse steak never tasted so good.

Lenke til kommentar
Å ikke drepe dyr for å spise dem er noe den moderne sivilisasjonen har funnet på.

Er dette virkelig et argument i en diskusjon om etikk? Hvis vi skal se til eldre siviliasjoner for å sette standarden, kan vi like godt gjeninnføre ofring av mennesker, heksebrenning, steining, osv. Vi kan også slutte å tro på vitenskap, og begynne å dyrke avguder.

Jeg har da aldri påstått at dette var et argument. Jeg bare påpekte det. Hva du gjør er vitterlig ikke min sak.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...